As I announced on Thursday, today is the first post with the new design for my blog as I change from:
Because we have lived in Florida before, we know the adjustment to the heat and humidity at sea level from Colorado's high altitude and semi-arid climate will be a challenge. But I'm choosing to give it my best effort.
For a cheery, tongue-in-cheek kickoff to this special celebration of my new blog design, I am sharing a fun piece Sue (a former Floridian) sent to me last week. I did a little digging around to discover it originally came from another blog titled, "Florida Biking" posted on June 13, 2012.
It's a Florida Thing
- Socks are only for bowling.
- You never use an umbrella because the rain will be over in five minutes.
- A good parking place has nothing to do with distance from the store, but everything to do with shade.
- Your winter coat is made of denim.
- You can tell the difference between fire ant bites and mosquito bites.
- You’re younger than thirty but some of your Friends are over 65.
- Anything under 70 degrees is chilly.
- You’ve driven through Yeehaw Junction.
- You know that no other grocery store can compare to Publix.
- Every other house in your neighborhood had blue roofs in 2004-2005. You know that anything under a Category 3 just isn’t worth waking up for.
- You dread love bug season.
- You are on a first name basis with the Hurricane list. They aren’t Hurricane Charley or Hurricane Frances. You know them as Andrew, Charley , Frances , Ivan, Jeanne, Wilma…Irene…Cheryl…Rita, Mary..Alison
- You know what a snowbird is and when they’ll leave.
- You think a six-foot alligator is actually pretty average.
- ‘Down South’ means Key West .
- Flip-flops are everyday wear. Shoes are for business meetings and church, but you HAVE worn flip flops to church before.
- You have a drawer full of bathing suits, and one sweatshirt.
- You get annoyed at the tourists who feed seagulls.
- A mountain is any hill 100 feet above sea level.
- You know the four seasons really are: Hurricane season, love bug season, tourist season and summer.
- You’ve hosted a hurricane party.
- You can pronounce Okeechobee, Kissimmee , Withlacoochee , Thonotosassa and Micanopy.
- You understand why it’s better to have a friend with a boat, than have a boat yourself.
- You were 25 when you first met someone who couldn’t swim.
- You’ve worn shorts and used the A/C on Christmas and New Years.
- You recognize Miami-Dade as ‘ Northern Cuba .’
- You not only forward this but you understand it.
- When it does snow in FL you run outside with no coat or shoes on and knock on neighbors doors no matter what time screaming for them to come outside.