Pages

Monday, March 13, 2017

Keen on Quinoa

Saturday's Lunch


Since I am gluten-intolerant, dairy-intolerant, and now I don't handle eggs well either(!!!), some of the meals I make for just myself look odd to the average hungry person. 

Today's post won't appeal to many of my readers who can eat anything, but for those of us who face these kinds of digestive problems, a new recipe that helps us feel like normal people is most welcome.

This past Saturday I tried a new recipe for granola. The scent wafting from the oven caused this traditional breakfast food to morph into lunch when combined with grapes.


Quinoa (pronounced keen-wha) is enjoying fame among the health foodies, but have you heard of Quinoa Flakes?  No, I hadn't, either. Quinoa flakes are flattened quinoa berries. You can find more about quinoa in all of its forms from this link.

But for today I'm sharing with you my recipe for granola that I adapted from a box of the quinoa flakes. ("adapted" means this is not the original recipe because I made changes to satisfy my palette.)




Quinoa Flake Granola ~ Barb's Kitchen

6 Tablespoons unrefined virgin coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup agave syrup (has a lower glycemic index than honey)
2 1/2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 Tablespoons almond butter
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 1/2 cups quinoa flakes
1 cup chopped raw walnuts
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup raw peptic seeds (pumpkin seeds)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Line a large, rimmed metal baking sheet with parchment paper.

Stir the wet ingredients, the cinnamon and salt in a large bowl until fully blended.

Stir in all of the dry ingredients until fully combined.

Pour the mixture onto the parchment-lined baking sheet and spread with the back of a spoon into an even layer.

Bake for 18-24 minutes, until light golden brown. You can stir this after 10 minutes, but if you prefer larger clusters, omit the stirring entirely. (that's what I did -- no stirring)

Remove and allow the granola to fully cool. It will crisp as it cools. 

Gently break it apart and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. (my guess is that this will freeze well, too!)




* * * * *
Later, I tried this recipe with almond milk in a cereal bowl. Delicious!


Quinoa Flake Granola with almond milk






7 comments:

  1. It looks fine to me and sounds even better! Delicious, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dr. told hubby on Friday he/we had to eat lo cal this weekend...so I adapted everything that was on the 'menu'...honestly, it wasn't that hard...and the food still tasted good. smiles

    Have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are finding and making things that are satisfying for your diet restrictions. Looks real good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found something new that is satisfying to you. I think quinoa is an acquired taste that I haven't acquired yet, but perhaps the granola version would ease me into it! It does look and sound good!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sound flavorful and I am so happy that it is satisfying to you with fruit and almond milk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a delicious snack for anyone, Barbara, even the non allergic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love quinoa. I have never tried quinoa flakes. Thanks for sharing this great-looking recipe!

    ReplyDelete