Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Mid-Winter Check-Up

solar-powered flower from Sue, a cheery item on winter days.
Set in a daylight window and the leaves bob up and down
(even on cloudy days)

Today I am joining in with the Hodgepodge meme where our hostess asks the questions and bloggers submit their answers. It's like taking an informal poll to get the pulse of the readers on different topics every week. 

1) Can you believe it's the end of January? What was the best day of January 2017 for you, and why?

The best day of January for me was Inauguration Day because the candidate I wanted won. He is wasting no time fulfilling his promises. 

Yes, he is brash and almost like a bull in a china shop at times, but he is one who will get things done for the good of our country. Just hold on and keep praying for the man! 

2) What sounds make up the background noise in your life?

Often when I am writing a blog post (like now), it's the quiet drone of the dishwasher just a few feet away from where I am sitting that is making up the background noise for me.  Other than that, we usually have a Christian radio station turned on with quiet praise music.

3) The Power of Positivity website has a list of ten things to drop from your life right now. They are --

anger outbursts
people who put you down
regret
negative self talk
being a people pleaser
the notion you need to be perfect
the past (but keep the lessons learned!)
gossip and judgment
comparing yourself to others
the word hate (focus on what you love instead)

Which thing on the list do you most need to drop? Are you trying or will you try?

At various times I've had to deal with all of the above, but I won't share with my Internet audience which ones test me the most right now.

4) What is sacred to you?

My relationship to God, my husband, and my family, to top the list.

5) January is National Oatmeal month. Are you a fan, and if so, how do you like it?

I really like [gluten-free] oatmeal and most especially in cookies when they include both raisins and non-dairy chocolate chips. I've got some in the refrigerator right now. I think I'll stop here for a moment and go grab one!

Oatmeal-Maca Cookies from page 158 of Superfood Snacks by Julie Morris
(see Barnes and Noble or Amazon)

6) What feelings does twilight stir up in you?

Twilight on a warm summer night stirs up romance in me. I think of twinkly lights, music, Italian food, wearing a sleeveless top with a swingy skirt, low-heeled shoes and holding Beloved's hand.

7) Something you're looking forward to next month?

I'd love to see a problem we've been dealing with get resolved.

8) Insert your own random thought here.



Have you see the new movie, "A Dog's Purpose"?  It's very good, family-friendly, and in theaters now. Here is the movie trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jLOOCADTGs

* * * * *
These are my answers for this week's questions. How would you reply to them? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.


Linking up today at From This Side of the Pond


9 comments:

  1. I have one of those solar powered flowers in my window at work. It does add a bit of fun to a sunny day! I love your answer to #1 and agree with you! Joyce gave us another fun Hodgepodge!! I will keep your silent intentions in my daily prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to January 20. Do you know that once the expression "a bull in a china shop" was tested? The bull was let loose in a china shop and did not do any damage whatsoever. Just a little trivia tidbit. LOL!

    I have a solar powered something around here...perhaps in March I'll get it out,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comment about Pres. Trump...he is so rough around the edges but I believe he's the man for the job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness! If you put oatmeal into a cookie, I'm there! LOL I like your answer to #6. I haven't seen the movie and won't because I learned a long time ago to avoid all movies with dogs because, tears. :) Have a wonderful rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I'll have to check out that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubs the dog lover might like to see that one. We haven't been to a movie in ages. I'm kinda sick of Hollywood so unless it's really good I'm not inclined to go. I especially enjoyed reading everyone's answers to twilight this week. Yes romance is part of it too, particularly in summertime. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son plans to see that movie Saturday. ;-)

    I like how you answered the twilight question.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S Your bull in a china shop quote made me smile.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, he is often like a "bull in a China shop" but, like you, I feel that he is God's man for "such a time as this." I pray daily for him. We just saw the previews for that movie, so cute! I hated I had to miss the HP this past week but I had "other fish to fry." Happy new week!

    ReplyDelete