Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

First Hodgepodge of the Year

No, it's NOT 120 degrees in my town

It’s been a crazy day here, so  my answers will be brief and my pictures few. With that said, here goes…

1. Share one favorite moment/memory from your Christmas holiday. 

Surfer Girl and Surfer Boy came to see us with Grandson #4 and Granddaughter #5.

2. What was the best thing you ate over the holidays? Was it homemade or store bought? If it was homemade did you make it?

The family BBQ beef brisket we have every year for Christmas was my favorite (and always is, year after year). I made it from a recipe given to me in 1981.

3. What was one of the most beautiful things you saw over the holidays?

The decorations inside my church were outstanding this year.

4. What does fresh start mean to you?

A new morning (blessedly, every single day).

5. On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being very positive and 1 being not so great) how would you rate 2016 in terms of personal achievement and well being? Explain. 

I’d rate it a 9. Late in the year (December) I re-taught myself how to do free-motion quilting on my sewing machine. That was a happy personal achievement for me. I also made great strides with my thyroid medication and that has been really good.

6. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse, or just general uselessness. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen or, if you're like me, to find out what in the world the word or phrase even means or the context in which it's used. There were quite a few on this year's list I'd never heard before.

Here's the 2017 list of banished words-

You, Sir-focus-Bete Noire-Town Hall Meeting-Post Truth-guesstimate-831-historic-manicured-echo chamber-on fleek-bigly-ghost-Dadbod-listicle-get your dander up-selfie drone-frankenfruit-disruption

Which word on the list would you most like to see banished in 2017? What word or phrase would you add to the list?

I am not familiar with a some of the words in this list. 

Not on the list but none-the-less true, I would like to see “Oh my God” banished, unless people really are calling on Him for serious help. "Oh my gosh" is also terribly over-used.

7. Large or small, light or deep, share with us one goal you have for the new year. 

One of my goals is to be a better cook, more comfortable with cooking DELICIOUS food minus gluten, dairy, and eggs (my food intolerances).

8. Insert your own random thought here.


Our Christmas company flew in from the Land of Flip Flops so they could play in the snow (some for the first time in their lives). We had sunshine and temps in the 40s every day of their visit. Tonight and into Friday we are forecasted to get 5 - 10 inches of the white stuff. Ah well .....

a scene from our Christmas

I'm linking up with other bloggers at From This Side of the Pond.




5 comments:

  1. I would have had a difficult time with # 6. It's not the words so much that bug me; it's the attitudes. I'm more of a stickler about grammar.

    Every time you say "Land of Filp Flops," I grin...such a good description and quickly shares the contrast between the locations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. {{{grinning}}}Land of flip flops....loveeeeeeeeeeee it...thank you for the smiles and I enjoyed your answers. Have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with your cooking goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to giggle about your Land of Flip Flops description! Ha! Enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous of the snow! We might get some sleet but probably not even that. I'm ever hopeful! That BBQ beef brisket sounds amazing! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete