Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

A Salty Hodgepodge

photo credit
Joyce has come up with some salty breezes and good questions for this week's Hodgepodge.

1. "The cure for anything is salt water -- tears, sweat, or the sea." (Isak Dinesen) Would you agree? Of the three, which has 'cured' you most recently?

I've not heard this quote before, but I like it. I don't like to sweat and the sea is at least a two-and-a-half day drive from me, so salty tears are my usual cure for what ails me.

2. What's something you can't eat without salt? Do you normally salt your food a lot, a little, or not at all?

I can do without salt but I much prefer using some. Asparagus is better with salt (garlic salt and roasted with olive oil, since you're asking!).

3. Sands of time, bury your head in the sand, built on sand, or draw a line in the sand..which sandy phrase could best be applied to something in your life right now?

"Draw a line in the sand" pretty much sums it up for me.

4. A favorite book, movie, or song with an island setting or theme?

The Beach Boys singing Kokomo. The first time we moved to The Land of Flip Flops, I played this song DAILY in anticipation of escaping the cold and snow of Colorado.

5. Yesterday -- did you run your day or did it run you? How so?

Living the retired life now, Beloved and I pretty much get to run our days as we like them -- and how thankful we are for that.

6. You're on an island holiday. Will I most likely find you parked in a beach chair, shopping in town, on the back of a jet ski, or snorkeling off the back of a catamaran?

While all of those things sound fun (I've never snorkeled or been on a jet ski), I like to sit under the shade of a large beach umbrella and stare at the ocean waves coming in, wave after wave after wave ...

7. What do you think we humans most take for granted?

Hands down, without a doubt, humans most take for granted the mercy and grace of God.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

The elections and inauguration are over but we need to still uphold our government in prayer daily, whether we approve of the personalities or not. God will work through anybody to get His purposes accomplished. 


* * * * * * *

Linking up today with other bloggers at Joyce's blog, From This Side of the Pond.


9 comments:

  1. I am recently retired and enjoying the freedom of not having a set work schedule. Love it! I agree with your answer to #7, we do take mercy and grace for granted, I'm guilty of this.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, I enjoyed reading your answers. Congrats on enjoying the retired life. I'm with you on answer #7. Not only to be take it for granted many times we think we deserve it. Hope your week goes well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your answers, Barbara...thank you for the smiles---especially when you refer to the Land of Flip Flops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That row of chairs at the beach make me smile. I can almost feel the warm breezes blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love that song...it does take one away to beachier times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are of one accord on #1. Tears are such good therapy! So glad you and your husband are enjoying his retirement. Tommy says he will never retire, but he's been semi-retired for probably 10 years. Our son and 4 gals do a great job of running his insurance agency. If he had to be there every day all day long then he would have already hung it up. Blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sitting on the beach seems to be winning, hands down, today! I enjoyed reading your HP today!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kokomo is a great song! I remember when the Beach Boys were on Full House and sang it with Uncle Jesse.

    I completely agree with you on #7 and #8.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to see all the complaining redirected into praying! Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Kokomo is a happy song and takes me to the beach in my head : )

    ReplyDelete