Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Enveloped

Photo Credit

At this time of year emotions, buried much of the time, tend to come to the surface. As we age, many memories have accumulated. Some are wonderful and others are not.

While I am no counselor, I do have a couple of ears to use when people want to talk out those emotions. I can listen, perhaps ask an occasional question to help the speaker clarify their thoughts, not so much for my understanding but for theirs. It's odd but so true that sometimes all a person needs to do is to say the words out loud and then while those words hang suspended in the air, the solution becomes very apparent to them -- without the listener having to say a word!

This week a writing friend of mine posted today's photo on Face Book, asking his friends what came to mind with this scene.  I suppose due to the gray tones and dense fog, most of us lean toward some darker thoughts of contemplation, including me, although at the time I was of a pretty cheerful frame of mind, so my impressions were on the lighthearted side.

I envisioned myself sitting on that bench with cold feet and perhaps cold hands if I had forgot my gloves. Leaving the bench to find a cup of hot chocolate, gloves, and perhaps to put on warmer socks were my thoughts.

In thinking about the fog, I remembered the words to a song by Michael W. Smith, "This is the Air I Breathe."  Perhaps you have heard it sung at church. 

The fog is cool and dense, enveloping everything around it. I think of the air I breathe, which contains God as the Holy Spirit all around me, even as intimate as the breath inside my lungs and the oxygen in my blood. 

God is so personal, so completely in and around us, that we are never alone, never left to ourselves without Him being right there -- right here.

I have always believed that, but it was put to the test a few years ago when I suffered an accident that surprised and shocked me so much I did actually wonder if God had deserted me. The bewilderment went against what I had been taught and believed all of my life.  

But even then, my Heavenly Father assured me He was still with me; I was to just trust Him. The physical recovery was terribly painful and took a long time, but never again did I question God's intimate abiding Presence with me. He is the air I breathe.


This is the Air I Breathe, by Michael W. Smith

This is the air I breathe
This is the air I breathe
Your holy presence living in me
This is my daily bread
This is my daily bread
Your very word spoken to me
And I I'm desperate for you
And I I'm lost without you
This is the air I breathe
This is the air I breathe
Your holy presence living in me
This is my daily bread
This is my daily bread
Your very word spoken to me
And I I'm desperate for you
And I I'm lost without you
And I I'm lost without you
And I I'm desperate for you
And I I'm lost without you
I'm lost without you

4 comments:

  1. A beautiful song and very contemplative post. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Barbara...I see that photo and think..."muddled" (like my brain) and at the same time, peaceful. Have a lovely day friend, heavy snow falling here in western NY, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I LOVE Michael W. Smith and have a Pandora station that plays his songs. I would name that picture, "Storm a Coming." Isn't it funny how we all interrupt things.

    I didn't know you had such a serious accident. Have you blogged about it?

    A lovely post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the sense that there is much more you could say about this. A dear friend of mine stands where you stood and so I am thinking about her every day, waking in the night to pray for her, and am so concerned for her well-being. I imagine that she would look at that photo and say that it feels like her world just now. I look at it and think that the sun is going to burn off that fog and it will break through.Maybe not on this side of Glory, but on the other side for sure.

    ReplyDelete