Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Deep Into the Christmas Season

Gumdrop tree belonging to Joann

Today the Christmas party scene began for me with a most festive open house at the home of my Bible study leader. Her home was beautifully decorated for the season with plenty of 'eye candy,' including this Gumdrop Tree. How many of my readers had one of these in your home when you were growing up? This stirred up pleasant memories of how my mother liked to decorate.


* * * * *
It's mid-week, so it's time for the Hodgepodge questions. I'll give my answers and then link up with the other participating bloggers and Joyce at From This Side of the Pond.

1. Let's talk holiday decorating. On a scale of 1-10, where do you fall? (1=Scrooge and 10=Clark Griswold) What's your favorite corner-room-table-space to decorate? Is it done?

I'll say Beloved and I decorate on a "6" because although we have a lot of decorations inside the house (and out), there are plenty of people who have far outdone us.

I guess my favorite place to decorate is the tree in the family room because it just wouldn't be Christmas around here without that. We start with that tree and everything else comes after that.

2. Is there a nativity scene in your decorating somewhere? Post a picture or, if it's special to you in some way, tell us why. Or do both -- it's Christmas!

Porch Nativity and small set in the kitchen
Yes, we have 5 nativity sets (two of which are pictured above). My favorite is the small ceramic one in the kitchen. It looks like little children in a play and reminds me of a story I often share at Christmas. 

My children were ages 6, 4, and 2. The eldest was tagged to play the part of Joseph in the church Christmas program. He was so excited until he realized he was to be the Joseph-married-to-Mary and not the Old Testament Joseph who got to wear the Coat of Many Colors. 

3. Do you live in a social neighborhood? if so are you glad? If not do you wish you did?

We are blessed to live in a very nice neighborhood but not as social as some we've experienced in the past. Probably my most social neighborhood was in 1981-1984. Having school-aged children in the home tended to make us more social because we interacted more with the neighbor kids and their parents.

4. As the saying goes, 'there's no time like the present.' How does that ring true in your life right now?

I'm not sure how to answer this one. While I might think this is THE time to do such-and-such, experience has taught me that my sense of timing is not always good. I'm not nearly as impulsive as I used to be.

5. Do you dread Mondays? Why or why not?

Not at all. I love any day of the week since my home is my workplace and Beloved is now retired. (note: homemakers never retire, but for the most part, I'm okay with that)

6. Poinsettia, Christmas Cactus, Amaryllis -- which on the list is your favorite holiday plant? Are any of these on display in your home right now?

Poinsettias are my favorite, but if somebody else would take care of them for me, I'd be happy with any of the choices given. I like to decorate with silk poinsettias. Last year I made poinsettia tree ornaments:

this one is on the tree in our master bedroom

7. Share a favorite poem from a Christmas movie.

This is not a poem but it's a line from "The Nativity" by one of the wise men: "If I'm right, and I usually am ..."  

This ALWAYS makes me smile and sometimes I even quote it to Beloved when I'm trying to persuade him to my way of thinking.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

from the shopping district of my town

This is a fun picture I took last week of a cross walk while I was shopping in our little downtown. I thought it was so clever and fun.

* * * * *

Linking up today at 



8 comments:

  1. Poem? I had to check that one twice! =D Learned something new...have never known what those trees were as I've not seen one with gumdrops. I like it a lot and am sad that I missed out on it. I have seen the trees and wondered if they were some sort of money tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That crosswalk really is cute!! My #7 asked for a quote from a Christmas movie. Had to go look, thinking I answered incorrectly! I didn't think of that quote from The Nativity, but we always chuckle at that one too. It is something my Joe would say! Ha! I enjoyed your answers!! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nativities are beautiful. I especially like the one with children. They give so much joy to this special season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a gumdrop tree but I love it! Your poinsettia ornament is beautiful. Have a great rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? No comment? I distinctly remember leaving one because I was so happy to learn what the tree is for. I have seen the trees, but never with gumdrops so I was trying to make it be a money tree. It really looks cute with the gumdrops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes, my Grandmother had a Gumdrop tree. What sweet memories. That's the cutest crosswalk I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! I had never seen a gumdrop tree before but it looks like an absolutely splendid center piece for during the holiday season!
    I love the ornament that you made too, it's really pretty.
    Have a terrific week,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your gumdrop tree is so pretty and festive, and that crosswalk is so unusual and fun. More towns should get creative with their crosswalks!

    The poinsettia ornament is very pretty also. I should do more with silk poinsettias, should think about picking some up on after-Christmas sales. I have killed every live poinsettia that has ever come my way.

    ReplyDelete