Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Talkin' About Homey Things

a homey habit: starting my day with coffee
The inspiration for today's Hodgepodge questions stems from our hostess' planned move into her new lake house. I'm answering the questions from her blog and linking up with other bloggers at From This Side of the Pond.

1. Besides your very own house, describe a place where you feel most 'at home'?




I feel at home in my mother's house, although I've never lived in the house she owns now. She has things in her current home that I grew up with, this sign being one of them.

2. When did you last 'hit a home run' with something? Explain.

Dinner this past Monday night was a 'home run' for me. I made a lemon chicken recipe with a side of crispy smashed potatoes and a green salad.

3. Tell us about something you love in your house or kitchen that is 'homemade.'

quilt I designed and made for our kitchen breakfast area in 2013

4. 'A man's home is his castle'...which of the world's ten most captivating castles (according to The Travel Channel) would you most like to visit and why --

With the world as it is these days, I don't have any desire to travel outside of the USA. But there are castles on our own soil and one of my favorites is Glen Eyrie in Colorado Springs.


photo from Glen Eyrie website

5. What's a recent or upcoming plan or project that's required you do a little homework before getting started? Did the homework cause you to abandon your plan or adjust it in some way?

We've got two baby boys to be born early next year to my sister's family members. I'm currently working on a quilt for one and then will begin work on the next one. My patterns tend to be simple so success is fairly easy. (I'll post pictures of them when I announce their births, probably in February and March.)

6. In your opinion, is homework an unnecessary evil or a valuable practice? Should schools be done with homework? Why or why not?

I think homework is necessary and not evil. My personal learning style is that I absorb more in the quiet of home than in a classroom, so study at home works for me. Book reports and term papers can't really be done in a classroom setting where others are moving about, talking, and providing a myriad of distractions. Also, homework is a good way to practice and reinforce concepts taught in the classroom, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, etc.  I do think, however, that teachers should not load the students with so much home study that it's a burden.

7. Share a favorite memory of your childhood hometown.

My family moved a lot when I was growing up (state-to-state and cross country), but with that said, I do consider one of those places my 'home town.'  I was born in Tulsa and we moved away just a few months later. We returned to Tulsa when I was about 3 years old and stayed there long enough for me to complete Kindergarten before moving out of state again. We went back to Tulsa when I was half way through my junior year of high school and stayed until I graduated a little over a year later. 

Due to some unusual circumstances of my father's career, that year in high school had been very hard on me.  In less than 12-month's time, we lived in California, British Columbia (Canada) and New Jersey, then Tulsa. Those changes were a lot for a sixteen-year-old. 

When we got to Tulsa we were greeted by my grandparents (who had been living there all along) and the school was just especially welcoming -- more so than any place else I had ever been. A Youth for Christ club met weekly before classes that filled a hole in my heart. Those factors warmed my heart greatly and had a lot to do with my success in graduating on time.  

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I'm not sure I have anything left to say after sharing my soul with Question #7. Here's a nice picture to close out today's Hodgepodge:


from our travels this past summer

* * * * * * *

I'm linking up with other bloggers today at 



7 comments:

  1. Oh I have felt at home in Tulsa myself. If I had to live in a city, and I would not wish to, I would choose Tulsa or Tucson. I do love that quilt that you made for your kitchen! Glen Eeyrie looks like my sort of castle, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet thoughts here...That is so wonderful that the school in Tulsa was so welcoming when you returned, and the Bible study group is just what they should have been. What a breath of fresh air. It is so hard for young people to find a nice Bible study group these days, our girls have a difficult time finding a decent one.

    I enjoyed my sweet visit here, I too learn best in quiet. : )

    May we lift our country up in prayers, Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous quilt that you made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great that your family got back to Tulsa and that you could feel at home and enjoy your last years of high school there. A beautiful story. It was a fun Hodgepodge this week (always, actually). That bike with the flowers in the basket is such a fun idea for a yard decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt, please post pictures of you finished baby quilts!
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Barbara,that was a lot to deal with. I thought I had a lot until I read yours. We moved midway through my Jr. year to a new city where my Dad had taken a new pastorate. But, I adjusted well and went right on. My younger brother, not so well.

    I love that quilt in your breakfast area. Adds such a warmth to the area.

    I had no idea that you had roots in Tulsa. Our daughter lived in Stillwater for 8 years and then her husband was transferred to a couple of other places and they are now back "at home" near Ok. City and likely will remain there.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that mug! Enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge today - better late than never! Have a great weekend! - Jessica

    ReplyDelete