Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Thankful But Incredulous

sunset in my town a few days ago

Here it is, the eve of 9/11 and we are still here, living and breathing, living out normal lives for Americans, and mostly free.


I say "mostly free" because we all know some of our constitutional rights are threatened in today's climate and therefore, it's hard to consider ourselves as free as we used to be.



Where were you on the morning of September 11, 2001?  What were your first thoughts when you heard or saw the news of what was developing on our East Coast? 



My first thoughts were, "This is it. We are being attacked and will soon be invaded. Life will completely change for all of us." 



My next thought was the words to a hymn, "O God our help in ages past, our hope for years to come, our shelter from the stormy blast, and our eternal home."


Thus far, He has been "our shelter from the stormy blast." While thousands lost their lives in that horrible event, many more of us have been spared from further attacks on that scale on our homeland soil.

But in the fifteen years since then, our morals have fallen greatly in multiple areas, we have had many smaller disasters, and it is hard to envision things making a turn for the better any time soon.

Hence my blog title for today, "Thankful But Incredulous." I am struck with God's mercies on us when we, as a nation, are so completely undeserving.


4 comments:

  1. Well said! Looking to God for mercy and restoration

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not kidding when I say my first words, when I heard the news, were "Our lives will never be the same again." And they haven't been. We have to trust that God is always in control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our lives have truly all been changed. I thought it was the end of the world as we knew it and I was right. So many of us were right. Apparently, since we are still here, there must be more than ten who remain righteous. I believe that there are many who are praying for this nation here and around the world. What a mighty God we serve. Profound thoughts today, Barbara. September 11 anniversaries cause us to remember and ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at my Aunt's visiting her in Virginia and my husband and children all here in Louisiana. It was so, so unsettling to me and I was delayed flying home by several days due to all that happened. It appears the incident did not bring us to our senses at all. Thankfully HE is our only hope!

    ReplyDelete