Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Hodgepodge Wednesday for September 14

Country decorating for autumn - dining room
my mother's cedar chest
bears from Sue
all quilting/needlework from my sewing room
Today is Hodgepodge Wednesday. Joyce, from her blog,  From This Side of the Pond, comes up with questions every week and then a host of bloggers reply (like me).  It's a wonderful way to get a sense of what others across our nation (and some beyond our borders) are thinking about current issues and such. Internet friendships are formed as we link up with each other, leaving comments on each other's blogs. Thank you, Joyce, for this fun and informative opportunity you provide to us so faithfully.


1. What's changed in your life, home, or community since your last birthday?


My last birthday was six months ago. Since that time my husband has retired, improvements have been made to our back yard, and my town has completed construction of a new freeway exit that was greatly needed.



2. September is Classical Music Month. Do you like/listen to classical music? If so, what's a favorite piece and/or who is a favorite composer?



Yes, I love to listen to classical instrumental music because it calms my mind and tends to lead me to pleasant, peaceful patterns of thought. Here are my favorites (below). Click on each title to hear them on Youtube.


Trumpet Voluntary by Clarke
Pachelbel/Cannon in D by Aureum Collegium

3. Beside The Bible, what's a book that has positively changed your life, relationships, career, or perspective? How so?



Hands down, the best book I've read in years is Heaven by Randy Alcorn. It informed me greatly about what to expect when I get to Heaven and has helped me to be more content with some delayed (or it's just not gonna happen) dreams of this present life, which is a mere blip in light of all of eternity. I wrote a book review on it a few weeks ago. To see that, click here: Book Review: Heaven by Randy Alcorn



4. I read here these ten hobbies will make you smarter ... 


play a musical instrument
read voraciously

*meditate regularly
work out your brain (puzzles, sudoku, bored games, etc)
exercise often
learn a new language
*write your feelings down (blog, journal, just write)
*travel to new places
*cook different kinds of meals
participate in sports actively

Are any on this list your current hobbies? Yes. See the *s above. Which hobby on the list would you be most inclined to try? I could be persuaded to read more, exercise a little more, and perhaps do Sudoku.



5. What sports traditions does your family have?


Anybody who knows my husband is well aware of his love for the Denver Broncos. 


6. In a few words, weigh in on the current football/National Anthem brouhaha. Keep it family friendly please.


In recent years, so many of our nation's time-honored morals, traditions, ideals, and now even laws have been challenged and changed. Showing respect for our flag and the National Anthem has been a wonderful binding agent for us but now even that is scorned by some. There are so many other ways one can make a statement about their beliefs (blogging, for one) that could be respectful and more effective. I am grieved that those who should be setting a stellar example for our nation (our young people, in particular) are making this choice to "sit out" the National Anthem. 


7. Where do you have loads of patience, and where do you lack patience?


(smile) My answer would be too revealing. I choose to not reply to this question. 


8. Insert your own random thought here.

one of my friends sitting atop the fireplace mantel


--------------------------------------------
Linking up at http://www.fromthissideofthepond.com



9 comments:

  1. A lot of things have happened since my last birthday but all I seem to focus on is that my first grandlove arrived. :) Enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your responses and especially loved the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Heaven but will put that one on my list. You've had a lot going on since your birthday. Navigating a new routine at home post-retirement takes some finesse : ) Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your needle work and the friend on the mantle, you are very talented! My grandmother was a expert at quilting and other fiber crafts. I miss her her dearly! Have a great week.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your answers. That book by Alcorn was very good. Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone I read here have started fall decorating. It is hard to get into it for me, with our temps still in the 90s with high humidity. Ugh. Maybe a few pumpkins around the house will give me the illusion of it being cooler! I enjoyed your HP today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your fall decorations. I plan on taking mine out next week. Today I squeezed in a dip in the pool :) Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, sure would love to know your answer to #7. You know, curiousity killed the cat. :o)) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have fallen behind in the blogs, my friend. School is keeping me way above busy...I think our issue with my blog is fixed, I think. smiles. (I did get your email and have been reallllllllyyyyyy busy, sad to say with school.)

    Have a beautiful SONday.

    ReplyDelete