Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2016

A Balm for the Spirit

a single yellow rose from my husband

I feel as if I had opened a book 
and found roses of yesterday 
sweet and fragrant, 
between its leaves.
L.M. Montgomery,
Anne of the Island

* * * * *

Reading and quoting to myself verses of scripture from the Bible is a wonderful balm to my troubled mind as I hear of violent attacks increasing in our nation. Often when I wake in the mornings, my first thoughts are troubled. My mind muses over the daily news as I sleep, trying to make sense of it all.

The enemy of our soul would like nothing better than to bring us down in the arena of the mind so that we are too weakened to think straight and do what is wise. 

There are many scripture verses we can and should use to combat the negativity bombarding us. Two in particular that have ministered to me in the last couple of days are these:

The name of the Lord is a strong tower. 
The righteous run to it and are safe. 
Proverbs 18:10

Bless the Lord, O my soul, 
and all that is within me, 
bless His holy name. 
Psalm 103:1

When I run in my mind and spirit to the Lord as one would physically run to a tall stone tower to hide, in that mental action, peace comes over me. 

When I speak to myself, essentially commanding all that is within my body to bless God, that means even the negative thoughts have to submit to Him. This mental exercise works well.  

It looks like we are in a physical battle with all the violence that keeps erupting in our cities.  We are.  But even more so, we are in a spiritual battle that seeks to weaken our resolves to do what is right and holy.  

Turning to scripture is my source of the sweet fragrance of peace and wisdom for these troubling times. 

4 comments:

  1. What a great post this morning, Barbara. I was thinking along the same lines as I was watching the scene unfold last night on TV. Thank you for making sense through all this.

    Have a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do live in troubled times, but haven't we always lived in troubled times? We talk about how great it was in the 50s, but we had children doing bomb drills in the classrooms and afraid of the 'commies' coming to get us. It really has always been "something" and the only stability we have is Christ. I love Proverbs, and this one is excellent!

    The name of the Lord is a strong tower.
    The righteous run to it and are safe.
    Proverbs 18:10

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true Barbara...So true.

    We fight not against flesh and blood right? Great reminders you have written from the Bible. He is our protection, may He make a way of escape for us. : )

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What words of wisdom! My daughter and I were just talking about Spiritual Warfare yesterday and how rampant it is. But, thankfully God is still on His throne and we must not dispair!

    ReplyDelete