Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Wrapping Up Summer Hodgepodge

thistle-rich weeds with pretty flowers at Eleven Mile Canyon

Joyce, our Hodgepodge Wednesday hostess, has given us questions this week having to do with summer's end.  I've submitted my responses and am linking up with other bloggers at From This Side of the Pond.  



1. It's National Waffle Day (August 24th)...what decision are you currently 'waffling over'? (or share one you've recently 'waffled over') 

This is interesting because I always give Beloved a waffle for his breakfast on Wednesdays!  But to answer the question, I am waffling over what to do with some fabric scraps I have -- how to design them into a quilt.

2. It's the middle of August, but I'm already seeing lots of autumn-related posts. Do you think we rush the seasons?  If so, does that bother you? 

Yes, I think American society rushes the seasons.  Look at all the Halloween and Christmas items already in the stores now.  I don't know that it bothers me, but it does seem like we are always in a mad rush to get to the next big celebration instead of more thoughtfully contemplating where we are now.

I saw an end of summer bucket list that included:

make s'mores
read a new (or favorite) book
eat something delicious and bad for you at a state fair
be a tourist for the day
have a pot luck picnic
book a last minute summer getaway
relax by or in the pool
take a hike to watch the sunset
have a day on the lake
try a new summer recipe

Which activities on the list might  you squeeze in before summer officially comes to a close?

To be honest, I've done most of these things already this year (to one extent or another), and that is good. Probably of all the things on this list, I'd be most likely to try a new summer recipe -- I'm trying new recipes nearly every week at any time of the year.

3. Your favorite summertime 'art' found in nature?

Colorful flowers, especially at some of the outdoor shopping centers where great care (and money) has been spent to create dazzling displays.

4. Steven R. Covey is quoted as saying "We judge ourselves by our intentions, and other by their actions."  Agree or no?  Do you define yourself based on your intentions, your actions, or something else?

Guilty. I probably due just as Mr. Covey has said -- after all, I can't read the minds of others. Yes, I define myself by my intentions that, again, others don't necessarily see.

5. Are you useful in a crisis? Elaborate.

If this question is asking if I have practical skills that are helpful in a crisis, no, I do not. I try my best to get out of the way of those who do have those skills, and I pray a lot.

6. What's been your go-to dish this summer? Is it something you'll continue making as the seasons change?

I've lost count now how many times I've made a berry crisp recipe this summer. It can be adapted to any fruit, so it will be useful to me all through the year.

7. Adult coloring books are a thing now. Have you jumped on the bandwagon? If not, is this something you think you might enjoy?

I have an adult coloring book, and coloring cards, too, that are fun. But I prefer to make my own designs. As a matter of fact, I was doodling just last night...




8. Insert  your own random thought here:

To paraphrase a thought from Susie Larson's Daily Blessing, she urges us to be more loving and discerning with our opinions in this season when people are especially cruel and careless.

As bloggers we have influence.  It's a mantle of responsibility we should all take seriously -- and the blogs I read tend to do exactly that! Keep it up, people! 

10 comments:

  1. Ok, so this my third time saying this, so excuse the repeat parrot, lol. I waffled and ended up not doing the Hodgepodge today ----and I am excellent in a crisis. (oh and forgot to say that prior to saying it here, giggling)

    Have a beautiful day Barbara....smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a berry crisp. I make an apple cranberry crisp in the fall/winter and it's so good. I think a fruit crisp is comfort food. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum to that fruit crisp. Would you share the recipe (if you have, I didn't print it out). I always enjoy the HP questions and everyone's answers. I have two waffle irons and rarely use either one. Pancakes are just easier...I'm such a lazy cook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fruit crisp recipe is at this link: http://myjournalreflections.blogspot.com/2016/08/gluten-free-fruit-crisp-recipe.html

    Sorry, I don't know how to make it so you can click-and-link up with it, so you will have to copy-and-paste.

    Does anybody know how to do that when posting a comment such as this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that didn't work. I tried out the link I supplied in the above comment and it got me nowhere.

    You can find the recipe on my blog if you look to the column on the RIGHT where it says "Categories." Scroll down that list to "Recipes Gluten Free." Click on that and then scroll down to the blog post for August 4, 2016 that is titled, "Gluten-Free Fruit Crisp."

    And for what it's worth, I'm trying the link here again:
    https://myjournalreflections.blogspot.com/2016/08/gluten-free-fruit-crisp-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Berry crisp...yummy! I haven't made anything that requires the stove to be on this summer, it's just too hot. This would be good for our fall camping trip; we could make it in the dutch oven. Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet, encouraging blog! : )

    Love your note card too. Wonderful!

    Blessings to you Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been doodling my own designs too. I enjoy that more than the coloring. Though, sometimes it is nice to just sit and color. :) Berry crisp- now I want that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I am a fellow Hodgepodger and your site fell next to mine on Joyce's Hodgepodge Site Links, so I am stopping by for a visit. I commend you for being a woman of faith. (I read your "Faith" tab) I also admire your response to crisis to pray. I enjoyed visiting your blog. God bless you and have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that quote in your coloring book! I think if we all greeted each day with a hopeful heart, the world would be a better place!

    ReplyDelete