Pages

Monday, August 8, 2016

From Systems Analyst to Carpenter

Potting bench, before paint

It's been a little over a month since Beloved retired from corporate America. He has got a lot done in that short amount of time. 


One of his strong desires was to get better acquainted with wood working. He wasted no time. I barely even breathe out the idea of a project I'd like to have and he's out the door, headed to Lowe's or Home Depot for the necessary supplies. 

In the blink of an eye (or so it seemed to me), he built a bench so I don't have to repot my plants at the kitchen sink surrounded by polished granite. There is a nook on the back of our house, beside the deck, hidden from view, that is a perfect location for potting plants. Here is the bench, after he painted it the same color as the trim on the deck (to make the HOA happy, because they are picky about things like this).

a posed shot to show off Beloved's handiwork

Immediately after putting this together, we dropped everything and made the trip to the Land of Corn and Soybeans to help out with a family emergency. We were gone eleven days and on the 12th day, Beloved was busy, once again in his workshop, painting the bench.

1 large Pothos, and 2 small ones that will get bigger

Then I uttered a desire for a wood box to hold my 3 pots of Pothos on the breakfast bar, behind the sink. Off he goes again to find supplies...

Beloved in his Happy Place

I marvel at the industry of this man who has sat at a computer for decades. It's like he's got pent-up energy and creativity to express and now he finally has the time!


can you read the caption on his shirt?

Although his shirt says, "Grumpy," he is far from it! I love what retirement has done to my husband.


me staining the box with "Ebony"
Before the project was done, I got into it, too, with a lint-free cloth to stain the box to go with the kitchen cabinets. I don't like to paint, but applying stain with a cloth is the exception.


completed black box for my plants
This is the first house (or apartment) we have lived in that had no wall/window/backsplash behind the kitchen sink. When we chose this floorpan, I didn't give it much thought.  But I quickly decided after moving in that I didn't like it.  It's taken me 3 years to come up with a solution.


view of the box from the family room
The 3 flower pots with their drip dishes fit perfectly inside the box. One pot is a mature plant, and the other two will grow quickly. These plants do well in low light and will enjoy the steam from the sink. 

Yes, retirement is setting well with both of us!











6 comments:

  1. {{Big, Big smiles}}} We were just discussing a similar topic...hubby had been forced into retirement for 11 yrs now and I told him he needs a hobby, lol. Sorry, but that is the truth...he said, "I do, its getting you thru school." Hmmm...

    Loving how retirement is for you both, smiles. Have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both of them but especially the potting bench. Shucks, Tom may have found his "second" career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to have such a talented and creative (and now retired) husband!! The two projects are beautifully done and the excellent work has made both of you smile! Keep us posted on the next project!! Are you connected here with Mari at My Little Corner of the World? Her husband is a very talented wood-worker too. Here is her blog in case you want to visit: http://marislittlecorner.blogspot.com/2016/08/memories.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! He has done a great job! And all for his lady, too. So romantic. What is he making next?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barb! Thanks for stopping at my blog. Terri is a sweetheart, and I see Simply Linda commented as well, who I also follow.
    Your hubby is doing great! As Terri said, my husband is also a woodworker. He does caricature carving, but also does big things like furniture. It's a blessing to me, and I can see your husbands will be to you too!.
    It's nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one of those plants on the corner of a hutch in my kitchen. I won it last October as a door prize.I've started another on from runners and put that one outside but it'll come in when cool weather hits. These are so easy to grow. I love your potting bench and that's a great place for it.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete