Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Book Review: Path of Freedom


book cover


Path of Freedom is a fairly quick read in paperback with some discussion questions at the back for book clubs. I borrowed it from the leader of the quilt group I attend at my church. Fiction based on history interests me. That fact, plus the picture of a quilt on the book cover, explains why I was interested in reading it.


The story is about Quakers in the pre-civil war years who endanger their own lives to transport slaves to freedom via the Underground Railroad. 

Of course, there is no actual railroad for their escape. Quilts are made with significant clues sewn into their designs that help point the way to freedom as they travel under the darkness of night.

If I say more, I will give away too much of the plot.  It was an interesting story with some unexpected twists that kept my interest up in spite of a romance that I found a little tiring. 

Perplexing challenges came to the Quakers when they had to decide if they should resort to deception to save lives. Those questions intrigued me and could be applicable to our lives today.

Path of Freedom is the 3rd in a series of 25 books in the Quilts of Love series by Abington Press. The author of this book, Jennifer Hudson Taylor, is an award-winning author of historical inspirational fiction.  As a Christian, you can read this story without wondering if you are getting into plot twists and details you might regret.

back of the book




3 comments:

  1. OHHHHHHHHHHHH my kind of book, thanks for sharing a review. I remember when I was teaching History to my son and he would keep on asking, "Where's the railroad, mommy?" It took a while to realize it was just a figure of speech, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy historical fiction! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so interesting, in fact, the entire series sounds like something I would enjoy. I'm currently listening(through Audible) to the Baxter Family Series by Karen Kingsburg. There are 5 series within the series for a total of 25 books. I've listened to 7 and the family has become so much a part of my life that I forget they are fiction.

    ReplyDelete