Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

An Olympic Hodgepodge

morning sun reflects off windows onto my dining room wall quilt

It's Hodgepodge Wednesday. Joyce has come up with interesting questions that I will try to answer and then link up with other bloggers at http://www.fromthissideofthepond.com


1. Are you watching the Olympics? Yes. Your favorite summer Olympic event? The gymnastics and swimming. I also enjoy the behind-the-scenes stories of the challenges the athletes overcame to get to this place. I read recently a list of the most iconic Olympic moments in history... what stands out in your mind as a great moment from some past summer Olympic games? My favorite Olympic victory was depicted in the movie, Chariots of Fire.

2. Have you ever been to Rio? No. How about the place that started it all -- GreeceNo. Have you ever been to any of the Olympic Games in person? No. Is that something you'd like to do? No. I'm not a fan of international travel or crowds. Have you ever met an Olympian in person? Not exactly. But the home of Missy Franklin, famous gold medalist in swimming, is not far from here. A few years ago she came into Panera Bread with a group of her girlfriends. I saw her walk by and thought to myself that she had a familiar face -- she should. We see her on local TV a lot. Sue and Mary commented to me, "That's Missy Franklin!" 

3. The ball's in their court (tennis), cross the finish line (track and field), on target (archery), make a splash (diving), on a roll (gymnastics), out of one's depth (swimming).... which Olympic-related idiom best applies to your life right now? Explain. "On a roll" probably best describes my life this summer. Last year at this time we were wondering what retirement would be like and this year we are "on a roll" as we enjoy having more time to do what we want.

4. What have you earned a 'gold medal' in recently? Hmm. That sounds like an invitation to pat myself on the back... hesitant to do that. Not sure how I'd reply to that anyway.

5. What is it (or who is it) that motivates you to eat right, exercise, and do what you can to be healthy? 


Surfer Girl and Beloved are my nutrition and exercise cheerleaders


6. Are you young at heart or an old soul? Explain. We just today made application for Social Security and although there are parts of me that are young at heart, I guess I'm more of an old soul.  I've been around the block quite a few times, relationship drama wears me out, and I like old music, old customs, and old friends.

7. It's National S'mores Day (August 10th)... are you a fan? Who isn't?!!  Will you celebrate with a s'more today? Traditionally, s'mores are made with graham crackers, which are not gluten-free. However, I have just done some research (as a result of this question) and learned there are gluten-free graham crackers (or substitutes) for making s'mores. So, I might indulge (that's still a lot of sugar).

8. Insert your own random thought here. 

my first Gladiola to bloom this summer

This is my 3rd summer of waiting for my Glads to bloom, and each year they wait a little longer to pop out those gorgeous blossoms. I don't know what the deal is with that.  

Anyway, I planted them because of their name, "Glads," which reminds me of a song I dearly love.  Here is the Youtube link to it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH8d7foGKOk and here are some of the words:

Oh be ye glad, oh be ye glad!
Every debt that you ever had
Has been paid up in full 
by the grace of the Lord
Be ye glad, be ye glad, be ye glad!

* * *






8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your answers, Barbara...have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! That song is one I sing to myself quite often and have even used it in a past blog. Your answer Chariots of Fire I had completely forgotten what a great story that is. And that reminds me of Louis Zamperini. How did I forget about him! There are many good stories of past Olympians and I think this year there are too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glads (gladiolus) are sure pretty. Hope you get some blooms soon! I enjoyed your HP answers today! Most of my "olympic" memories are from the winter games, but I like the gymnastics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful bloom! I am looking forward to getting back into some gardening once we're in the house. Glad you're enjoying retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why I don't know that song but I like it. I enjoyed your answers and am glad you are getting the hang of retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard that song and I thought I'd heard all of them. :o)) There's so many gluten free foods now and that's such a good thing for folks such as yourself. Happy mid week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just retired too; I'm still working on getting the hang of it...so far so good though. I do miss the daily socializing with the girls from work. Have a goos week!
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete