Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

A Mid-August Hodgepodge

Blooming Gladiolas and Russian Sage off the porch at
The Brown Bungalow

It's time for the Hodgepodge Wednesday questions for August 17th. Joyce makes up the questions, bloggers respond,  and then we all link up together over at Joyce's blog, From This Side of the Pond.

1. Joyce read there are four creative activities to try this month. They were: calligraphy, make your own cookbook, dance or learn a new type of dance, and letter writing. Which activity on the list appeals to you the most. Will you add it to your August?

I'll go with making my own cookbook because I am doing that all of the time. Since going gluten, dairy, and egg-free, it's become essential that I collect recipes that work for me. I type them up, sometimes adding photos of the recipes or other graphics, print them, and slip them into clear plastic page protectors. They are all in a green 3-ring binder, and I'd be lost without it!!

my collection of recipes
2. Bertrand Russell is quoted as saying, 'To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.' Agree or disagree? Explain.

Unfortunately, I agree that this is true, a fact of life even. If I had everything that I want, I'd be unbearably spoiled and intolerable to all.

3. August 17th is National Thriftshop Day...are you a thrifter? If so, tell us about one of your best or favorite finds.

Oh yes, I love to visit thrift shops, second-hand stores, and antique places. I have too many fun finds to list them all, but pictured here below is one I enjoy a lot. It's a wood bench for one of my many teddy bears. After bringing the bench home, I had to re-stain it to freshen it up.

Bear on her Bench

4. On a scale of 1-10 (with 1=almost none and 10=loads), how would you rate your sense of wanderlust? What kicks your wanderlust into high gear? (note: wanderlust is defined as "a strong desire to travel")

When a family member has a need, I immediately start packing my bag mentally, even if it turns out I don't need to make the trip. Other than that, I am more inclined to desire day trips than long travels. Day trips are just easier on the body and the bank account. For several years I've had no desire whatsoever to leave my home country, and flying is definitely not fun like it used to be. Just sayin'. Oh and how to rate my sense of wanderlust? I'd give it a 5.

5. Has life felt more like a marathon or sprint so far this month? How so? 

Let's see. We are half way through August already. I can hardly believe it. Both a marathon and a sprint are faster than I usually move. I'll leave it at that.

6. What do you need to get a jump on before fall officially arrives?

Thankfully, nothing that I can think of. I had two specific goals I wanted to accomplish before summer's end, and within the last week, both of them were realized. One of them was to get all the blocks for my king-sized quilt sewn together. Below is a picture taken on Tuesday of the quilt top laying on our bed. Today I got an estimate of what it will cost for a professional long-arm quilter to do the quilting for me (~$250).

Quilt top (unquilted) using Fons and Porter's "Thank You Stars" pattern

7. What's the last thing you did with friends or family where you lost track of time? 

I tend to be kinda OCD, so I usually am aware of both the time and the day of the week; but I have to admit that last summer when I got to hold my newest granddaughter for about two hours while she slept -- I could have done that forever. It was such a peaceful experience. 

me holding Granddaughter #5, Grandchild #10
8. Insert your own random thought here.

Several of you have been so kind as to pray for The Cook on Fifth Street and to ask how she is doing after her serious hand injury on the 4th of July in the land of Corn and Soybeans. 

The Cook on Fifth Street - photo taken today by Sister
I am so thankful to be able to report she is doing very well. The Great Physician (which is the Lord, and NOT a pseudonym!) has demonstrated His power and goodness as we have watched the wound on her hand heal up with remarkable progress. 

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers for her. We are grateful!
---------------------------

Linking up with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond












8 comments:

  1. The Cook on Fifth Street is quite lovely and I am so glad she healed up well, Barbara, smiles. I also loved your Hodgepodge and the pops of color your flowers have, smiles.

    Have a lovely day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered how wonderful it is to sit and hold a granddaughter this summer when daughter 3 had our first grand! And you are exactly right- it is a peaceful experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to learn that your mom is healing well!! Beautiful photo of you and granddaughter #5. I enjoyed your Hodgepodge answers today and wish you a blessed Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome news about your mom...she is just precious! I can't even imagine the feeling of holding your grandchild, but I hope to understand one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoah--cookbooks, quilts, and staining teddy bear benches--you are a multi-talented woman! I like your nickname for your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your mom is doing well! Your quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep all my clipped recipes like that too and they are so easy to find.

    Your quilt is lovely and your Mom is precious! So happy she is doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your answer about holding your grandson: I know just how you feel...there is nothing quite as content as to sit and hold a sleeping baby..
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete