Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2016

The Praise Willow

photo credit

Lucky you. I was going to write something political (I did, in fact) but after mulling it over for a day, I decided that whatever I have to say isn't original, you've probably already heard it from somebody else and frankly, aren't we all just worn out from it all? So I deleted it. 

Instead I'll show you a fun thing we've done in the last twenty-four hours.


Our back yard - note the wheelbarrow Beloved has allowed me to use
as a flower planter. It's Marigolds this year. Last summer it was Petunias.

Meet our new Weeping Willow tree (slightly off center in the photo). We bought her yesterday and Beloved planted her late this afternoon in the 92-degree heat -- we just wanted to get the task done! I have nicknamed her "Cry Baby." (weeping, cry -- you get it, don't you?) 

I wanted the kind of Willow tree where the branches reach up, heavenward. We had one of those in our last house and when the wind would kick up, the branches would move and sway and it reminded me of the song that says "the trees of the field will clap their hands" taken from Isaiah 55:12

You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountain and the hills will 
burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.

Oh, what a beautiful sight that was until one night when we had a late spring snow storm (not unusual here along the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains). Heavy snow and strong winds fell our wonderful tree during the darkness of night. 

We were completely unaware of the tragedy in our back yard as we slept snug in our quilt-covered bed. But the next morning when Beloved looked outside, he could hardly believe his eyes. The beautiful Willow with a good, strong trunk, had snapped in two, a fatal blow, to be sure. 

Heartbroken, we called a man to come clean up the mess and we thwarted all attempts of the roots to grow us another tree. 

Well, that was several years ago and we have since then moved to another town and have been busy planting new trees.  We have a low spot in a back corner of our yard that always has water just underneath the landscape rocks. It's the perfect place for a water-slurping Willow. 

We tried to find another "praise Willow" but couldn't. So we got Cry Baby and she will be fine.  She will still blow in the wind so gracefully, but her branches will bend downward instead of up.

So, that's my story. Nothing political, just sort of nostalgic with a bit of whimsey.

4 comments:

  1. Hope that you can get together with a like-minded person and chat about all things political. Seems as if we will pop sometimes if we don't get that opportunity. I have a back page for political things now; otherwise, I feel muzzled and muzzled does not sit well with me, =D

    I love the beauty of a willow tree, but have heard so many negatives about those roots! I hope Cry Baby does very well for you! My elderly neighbor lost one of his ancient maples in the past month. It sits in enormous chunks on his back lawn. Last night, I watched as he walked up to the remains of the largest chunk and put his head down on it and rested there for a bit. I admit that my eyes stung for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smiling...I think you sort of did a political post (giggling)...and I thought I was the only one who named the plants and flowers...have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about your willow, but hope that Cry Baby will give you lots of enjoyment for years. I bought a baby McIntosh apple tree because our old one isn't looking too great, but our youngster was eaten by the deer. Wah!!!! Next time, I guess we'll put a 10' fence around one, rather than a 3' fence to keep the bunnies away from the trunk. Enjoyed your Scripture of course, and I too write political stuff and then delete it. I'm trying to go with the a)Is it true? b)Is it kind? c)Is it necessary? when making a political comment. Unfortunately what I have to say is only probably an 'a.' Thank you for stopping in at Cranberry Morning and leaving such a nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! Willows are beautiful in landscapes, as you discovered. I love that verse you shared. It gives me a great visual image! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete