Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

What We Can Do

Challenge Steps at a park in my town

As the days in our world, and especially in our nation, are growing darker, do you, like me, struggle with knowing just exactly how to pray beyond, "Lord, HELP!!"?

Do you feel like your words are feeble and that they are not reaching the heights of heaven to enter God's ears?

I am telling  you how I feel sometimes, and I'm thinking even our most astute Bible scholars may feel much the same -- things have got that bad.

First of all I will say that God hears our prayers. If we have accepted salvation through the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ as payment for our sins, then He hears our prayers. Even when our words are weak-sounding, confused, and perhaps not more than disheartened mumbling, our Lord hears them.

Better than that, He sees what is in our heart. The Holy Spirit intercedes on our behalf, speaking to the Heavenly Father what needs to be said when we don't seem to be able to articulate it ourselves.

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. Romans 8:26

In addition, there is help from books and Internet ministries.  Two in particular that have encouraged my prayer life are these:

1) Anne Graham Lotz's book, The Daniel Prayer. Mrs. Lotz writes extensively how we can position ourselves to pray more effectively, based on the experiences of Daniel in the Old Testament. It is a very moving, convicting, and practical book. Click here for more information: 

2) The Capitol Hill Prayer Partners "Daily Brief."  This is an email sent out several times a week with news from our nation's capitol and around the world, followed with prayers and scriptures. To go to their website, click here:
http://chpponline.blogspot.com

I use this resource for learning current events from a Christian perspective and also to guide my prayers.  I pray as I read, confident that God knows my heart in wanting to do something powerfully practical to address the problems.

the newest form of recreation at our city park

Our world, including our nation's politics, have become complicated and overwhelming. We cannot ignore what is happening and do nothing. As followers of Christ, we must not let the difficulties of these issues prevent us from taking action of some kind. 


Let us be found faithful when this all comes to an end. Start with prayer.

4 comments:

  1. Unfort...sweet friend, corruption and ideology is a big problem...and not to mention church fellowship is down, religion/Christianity is down, and the mentality is, "Its not my problem." morals and values are no longer being taught and so many other reasons...We were just discussing this...heavy hearts...like my husband said, "Just because the world has incroached in our lives, we are to remain Christian, preach the truth and lead by example even when the world and its leaders and people don't want too." As for me and my house, we serve the Lord...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. The power of prayer is amazing, but we do need to pray! I agree that our prayers are heard, no matter the form, format or function. He knows our hearts. Whether it's just a few words or many, He knows. I will check out the links you gave to us! Thanks for this thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so easy to have a limited mindset when looking at our nation and think "what difference can I make?" But, together we can make a difference and we NEED desperately to be praying diligently for an awakening. I do LOVE Anne Lotz, such a Godly woman!

    ReplyDelete