Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Looking for a Good Night's Sleep

Embroidering a dish towel

Wow. I just have to say that I would so much rather occupy myself with my hobbies than to have to think about the serious issues that bombard us these days. When I sit down with a threaded needle for an embroidery project, my breathing slows down, my mind relaxes, and it’s all good (well, except for when it’s time to thread the needle – that’s not as easy as it used to be).

But the fact is that we are confronted with problems we cannot ignore and we are responsible adults who have it within our power to influence others for what is good, right, and downright holy.

I don’t like to talk politics or get into debates (a dressed-up word for “arguments” any more) but with that said, there are still things I can do to promote goodness.

Gun control. I can hardly believe that I’m even bringing this up on my blog since my usual topics range anywhere from my faith to needlework, home d├ęcor, travel, gluten-free recipes, relationships, and of course, my staff of dolls who in my imagination help me get things done around here. But when the tough stuff comes up, I can’t sleep well, knowing there are things I could be doing to help the cause.

You know what I mean. Those nocturnal trips to the bathroom aren’t always just about having drunk too much water before bedtime. When the rest of the world is quiet, sometimes the Lord himself wakes us up because He wants our undivided attention and He knows that is the best time we will listen to Him.

The news this week has been so awful with disasters both here and abroad that a good night’s sleep has been a little hard to come by. Even with my reclusive spirit when it comes to the big issues, the Lord has reminded me that I can be of some measure of influence. 

So, back to gun control. I will not presume to tell you what your opinion on the matter should be, although by the time I’m done writing this post, you will have a good idea of where I stand.  What I do want to say is that now is the time to contact your state senators to give them  your opinion, to tell them how you would like to see him/her handle this ever-growing issue.

Have you ever contacted one of your legislators with your opinions?  Did you know that it’s surprisingly easy?  Beloved and I have done it many times over the last thirty years and although it sounds very intimidating, it is easy.

You call their phone number and tell the aid who answers the phone that you are calling about such-and-such and that you would like to see the senator/congressman vote thus-and-so on the issue.

You do not have to elaborate and I never do. My purpose in calling is to give my opinion, pretty much yay or nay on the issue. I’m not sure the aids really have that much time to listen to callers air all they have to say on the issues, although they probably do politely listen.

They will ask you your name and address, which is to verify that you are a legal constituent in the official’s district or state. At some later date you will probably get a scripted response from their office with the acknowledgement that you contacted them and how they appreciate it. And yes, this is another way your name gets put onto phone, email, and snail mail lists – but  you know that.

Since the Internet has come into our lives, you don’t even have to use the telephone anymore to contact your official. You can send them an email, which is my preferred method. Simply look up the official’s name on the Internet. At their website you will find all the contact information you need.

You could send a letter via snail mail, but my goodness, that takes waaaay too much time and effort and many times is just too slow if the issue is nearing a vote.

And yet again, back to the subject of gun control. Here is the message we telephoned and emailed to our state senators this week:

I do not wish to see any further infringements on my second amendment rights in response to the events in Orlando. Other measures would not be effective and would possibly deprive citizens of due process in the restriction of our rights.

Or, you can say something as brief as this:

I do not support any further infringements on our second amendment rights in the wake of Orlando.

If my post today has inspired you to contact your legislators on this issue, feel free to use our wording – or better yet, come up with your own. The point is to do the right thing and exercise your right (as long as we still have it) to voice your opinion.

Okay. I’m hoping to sleep well tonight! 

P.S. If you call your senator's phone after office hours, you can probably leave a message -- avoid talking to a real person. We did that.





3 comments:

  1. Google your senator's website. [type Senator X website" to find it]

    Once there, look for a Contact button. You can then leave a message. As Barbara said, you do need to give your Name, Address, phone, and email - there is a price to pay for expressing your opinion!

    I also suggest you Google information on ways you can be put on the "No-Fly" list. There is no sense of due process in that - as you are not notified and are probably never able to get off the thing. It can be as simple as you have the same name [e.g. Robert Jones] that some "person of interest" has.

    We really need to remember that our country holds it true [so far] that a person is innocent until proven guilty by a court of their peers.

    God help the USA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes ma'am, already done it...and since we live in a very liberal state that has very strict gun and bullet laws (let's not go there)---the email will prob. fall on death ears. None the less, what kind of parent or person would I be if I didn't stand up for my rights as a citizen? Ok, slipping off the soapbox now...waving to Tom, my husband (and I) totally agree...people ought to do their homework. Just saying....smiles

    On to your little project, I love it...I love to needlepoint as well...it is very relaxing (not that I am relaxed today---dealing with the cable company whose service or lack of is about driving me nuts-cuckko for coca puffs, wink).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post! Thank you for reminding us that we do have a voice and we really can't complain if we haven't exercised our rights and done our part to make a difference.

    I do not have patience for needlework, but sure do appreciate those who do!

    ReplyDelete