Pages

Friday, June 10, 2016

Contemplating Obedience

Tree beside Lake Coeur d'Alene

In preparing for this Sunday's Bible study class, a quote  has been brought to my attention. It is worth turning over in the mind:

"The best measure of a spiritual life is not its ecstasies, but its obedience." Oswald Chambers (1874 - 1917)

I am one of those who, in my younger days, sought spiritual thrills, thinking such experiences would make me more holy, more acceptable to God, and lift me up in the estimation of those who knew me.

Thankfully, that whole attitude crashed and burned when the realization hit me that pride had raised its ugly head and was doing me no favors. 

I also saw that I cannot ever be more holy in God's eyes. He had made me holy by what Christ did on the cross for me.  

But I can be more obedient.

Obedience may seem to the immature to be boring, oftentimes even reclusive; but oh my, it spares us so much grief! What was thought to be plain is actually the way of peace and accomplishment in the Christian walk. 

If followers of Christ would quiet themselves before our Father, humbly contemplate where we have fallen short and take action to be obedient to what His Word says, God would be pleased. 



4 comments:

  1. That word is a hard word for a lot of people...have a beautiful weekend, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being quiet and listening is the hard part for most of us, with our busy lives. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such truth but often not easy for sure. Great post!

    ReplyDelete