Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Simple Woman's Daybook


It's been a while since I last did a Simple Woman's Daybook post. The hostess for this particular meme sent out an invitation to contribute a post for May, so here I am!

Looking out my window … It's dark out there since the clock says 8:50pm. We have the sliding glass door open this evening because it actually got warm today!!

I am thinking …how wonderful it is to have all the snow that fell almost continuously for 4 days last weekend -- gone!

I am thankful … to sit in my recliner, laptop on a throw pillow, and type a cheery post this evening.

One of my favorite things … is falling asleep nearly as soon as my head hits the pillow. I am blessed to sleep easy most nights.

I am wearing …blue jeans, black socks with my shoes kicked off somewhere near my feet and a Christopher and Banks 3/4 length sleeve print top that I found at the thrift shop a couple of years ago. 

I am creating … quilt squares for a new bedspread in the master bedroom. I've completed only 2 blocks thus far... it will look a lot more interesting after more are made.

from Fons and Porter's Thank You quilt pattern

I am watching … nothing on TV right now. Except for the evening news, we don't watch much TV during the week. The presidential election... well, aside from the final winner in November, I doubt much interesting will happen on that scene until the summer conventions start up.

I am reading … I have not read much more than my Bible study homework for the last few months. We're in a Precept study of the book of Genesis. Our lesson this week was on the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah and how timely was that?!!! Our last class was earlier this week. As one lady said, it was "the last day of school!"  We are taking a break for the summer and will resume in September where we left off with Genesis 20.

I am listening to … the hum of the refrigerator. It is just steps behind my recliner where I am sitting now.

I am hoping for … a wonderful turnout for the Ladies' Annual Tea at my church this coming Saturday. I am hosting a table.

I am learning …that complaining does not do me any favors. "Godliness with contentment is great gain." (I Timothy 6:6)

In the kitchen … it's closed up for the night. But we had a yummy veggie stir-fry over Basmati rice for dinner. I drained the juice from a can of pineapple chunks, adding that juice to the rice cooker for additional flavor. Oooooh! It was so good!

In the garden …my kale is slow but it's growing. The blue flax has bloomed and the Stella'd Oro leaves are profuse! Maybe, just maybe my orange "ditch lilies" will produce flowers this year. The Russian Tarragon is bushy already and the Veronica Speedwell from my brother-in-law is producing green.  All four of our lilac bushes, although young and small, are looking very healthy. I am thankful for that!

Shared Quote …"The name of the LORD is a strong tower, the righteous run into it and are safe." (Proverbs 18:10)

A moment from my day … 


It's a long story that I won't go into, but we were led to believe the work on our air conditioning today would be very messy. Beloved and I bought huge plastic sheeting to confine the dust.  But when the serviceman got here, he said that no, there would be no mess, and he was right! 


Closing Notes … As I type this, Beloved is closing the drapes and making noises like it's time to go to bed. I guess that's my cue to sign off here.  Thank you for stopping by. I look forward to seeing what others have written for this edition of The Simple Woman's Daybook!

9 comments:

  1. Your words make pictures in the readers mind and I enjoyed my visit to your home and blog. Night and God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the smiles...have a beautiful Thursday, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for no snow! Sounds as if your garden is well ahead of mine no matter that the plants were buried in snow recently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snow!?! Hang in. Spring is coming!
    Bet the Precepts study of Genesis is a weighty one. Timely indeed!
    Today is National Day of Prayer in the US. How we need it!
    Just jumping in for The Simple Woman's Daybook for the first time (with my PRACTICALLY AT HOME blog. Glad to find yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to chuckle when you said the door was open because it was warm. Ours get opened when it is cool! And just thinking about snow in April/May makes me shudder. Oh my goodness! I am so hooked on Florida. I enjoyed your Daybook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lovely day post. Your quilt squares are stunning! And you garden! Both are on my list of skills I would like to acquire. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the air conditioner repair wasn't a big mess and that spring is on its way to you. Your quilt squares are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful visit here today! What a great surprise to have no mess when you were expecting a big one! Those are my favourite kind. :) I was happy to finally find someone who understands about snow in April, too!! I'm up on the Canadian prairies and ours just finally disappeared in the last two weeks, too. (although it's not like we CAN'T get more yet ~ we just usually don't, thank goodness!!)

    ReplyDelete