Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Adversity's Advantages

snow on the fence rail
Though April showers may come your way,
They bring the flowers that bloom in May.
So if it's raining, have no regrets,
Because it isn't raining rain, you know, (It's raining violets,)
And where you see clouds upon the hills,
You soon will see crowds of daffodils,
So keep on looking for a blue bird, And list'ning for his song,
Whenever April showers come along.


It's funny how the lyrics to music from my junior high girls' glee club come back to me some fifty years later and put a smile on my face. This tune is one of them.

Here in the Rocky Mountain West, we are frequently showered with rain that quickly turns to snow when the temperature dips even a little bit. Such is the case today as I write this post. My senses have grown weary of the white stuff and I yearn for more of the daffodils.

This afternoon I happened to look out the window of my sewing room and saw that the snow was making a most interesting semi-circular design on the top of the fence. Neither Beloved nor I can figure out just why it's doing that but it's artistic, so I snapped this picture through the glass of the window.

I am reminded that there is purpose (and sometimes even beauty) in adversity, even though at the time it may be hard to see or appreciate. 

For me, years spent in school with hard lessons and the occasional difficult teacher have taught me to be a fairly intelligent person. Several relocations criss-crossing the country in both my childhood and adult years have taught me to make friends easily and strike up conversations with strangers. The trials of parenthood have taught me about God's love for wayward mankind and given me great insight into human nature. 

Even this weekend's storm is blessing me with extra time to stay home and get much-needed tasks done, as well as the delight of odd snow sculptures on the fence!

Nothing is ever wasted in God's economy.  Sometimes we have to wait it out with adversity, but eventually, a lesson will be learned or some other blessing will become evident.

...we also exult in our tribulations,
knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance;
and perseverance, proven character;
and proven character, hope;
and hope does not disappoint,
because the love of God has been poured out 
within our hearts through the Holy Spirit
who has been given to us.
Romans 5:3-5

7 comments:

  1. A beautiful post Barbara and as for the fence--it looks like smiles (and how interesting). No snow here in western NY, but pouring rain. Hubby asked me about putting away the snow boots/clothes/jackets etc. and I simply can't do it yet...something tells me not yet. We had surprise snow storms all the way up to Memorial Day the last couple of years.

    Hae a lovely Sunday, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While we have had FOUR straight days of snow, it is supposed to get better tomorrow. Temperature all the way up to 50 degrees! Woo Hoo!!

    But seriously, we don't enjoy adversity but we can rejoice in knowing that God is using it to conform us to the image of His son, Jesus! Come, Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a lovely post Barbara! It is so true, there are so many lessons in life if we listen.

    Have a sweet Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my to snow in April. Love that song and hadn't thought of the words to it in years. Wishing you a good week ahead, with the hope of more spring flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have said it so well! Still...it does wear thin and so I am praying for the snow to be gone and the flowers to keep on coming. I have always loved that song since my class learned to sing it away back in the third grade. Now that was eons ago...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I would have long since worn thin of the snow. Hoping some beautiful spring days are just around the corner for you. Another lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wishing better weather for you.

    ReplyDelete