Pages

Friday, April 1, 2016

Don't Let Everything In


my brother-in-law's barn

This week one of my friends has been sharing from her reading of Puritan prayers and I am loving it. Here are some thoughts that have come to my mind as a result.


The Puritans spoke very "old world" but with a depth of meaning, honesty, and lack of foolishness we seldom see in today's culture. I find that when reading their words, I need to be in a silent, private place where intentional focus is possible. When I am done, I always wish I could come up with prayers like that.



Here is a very short example of what I'm talking about:



May I engage in nothing 
in which I cannot implore thy blessing, 
and in which I cannot invite thy inspection.


Words like that make me want to just put down all my pretense at holiness and bow my head in humble admission that yes, I am a sinner in need of a holy God. Nothing is hid from Him and my greatest desire is to be in fellowship with Him. 

While it is impossible in today's culture to be exposed only to materials that will uplift us in this way, we need to be careful about what we allow to come to our  senses and to reject what is not "noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy." (Philippians 4:8)  It's a continual testing of our holiness.

May we choose the better things that make us more like the One in whose image we were created. 





2 comments: