Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Singspiration!


This past Sunday my church had a "Singspiration" which was when they distributed hymnals and we got to choose which songs we wanted to sing as a congregation. For those of us old enough to remember hymn-singing, before the use of overhead screens and unscripted praise music, this event was a thrill.


Not only did we enjoy hymns that are no longer sung very often, but the music was the type that encourages harmony. As a life-long alto, this was a balm to my soul.

Hymns have pithy wisdom from scripture that many of us recall during the harshest tests of life. Words just about cannot describe how much so many of us miss the lyrics, melodies and harmonies, and even the predictability of singing the hymns!


For an hour we were encouraged to call out the page number of our favorite hymns and interspersed with that was some special music in the form of a solo, a duet, and a clarinet with flute duo.


After the closing prayer, we were dismissed to the fellowship area where a very long dessert-laden table drew us close. 


Since Beloved and I have been sick all week, we did not bring a homemade dessert, but by the end of the evening, we saw that our store-bought contribution was completely gone.


Many tables and chairs were set up and decorated like this one to allow easy conversation. It was a most enjoyable evening spent with our church family and we absolutely loved it.

During the hymn sing, my request was Ring the Bells of Heaven. I have found a youtube version of the song and am posting the link to it here. Click on the link and sing along!

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun. I love the old hymns and miss the hymnals. Our church has gone to overhead projectors. Just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, how I miss the old hymns and harmony!! I am also an alto, as was my mom. The old red Methodist Hymnal that I grew up with sits on my bookshelf. No such thing in the Catholic church. Sigh. I would have enjoyed being there with you for the sing-along!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! I so remember all the old hymns and we use to have "hymn sings" as well. It's been a long time ago. Church music has changed so, so much and often I think it's more like a "dog and pony show" rather than a worship service. Happy rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great evening! Your hymn was excellent. I had forgotten it actually, but was able to sing along quite easily. Love the dessert buffet and the tables for lingering.

    ReplyDelete