Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Hodgepodge

view from a recent walk in my neighborhood

Along Colorado's Front Range (the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains), this is the time of year when we see a lot of brown. When it's not storming, the landscape is that earthy color punctuated here and there with evergreen trees and patches of old snow. 



Sometimes our daylight temperatures sneak up near 70 degrees, which helps me to be forgiving of all the brown. But winter is seldom done with us in February. March is historically our snowiest month. While some of you will get the "April showers that bring May flowers," we will be shoveling the white stuff. That is what high altitude does for us.

---------



It's time for the Wednesday Hodgepodge where Joyce comes  up with the questions, bloggers answer them, and then we link up at From This Side of the Pond.



1. February 17th is National Random Acts of Kindness Day. It lands on the calendar one day after National Do Something for a Grouch Day (February 16) which somehow feels related. Perhaps the 16th inspired the 17th?



Tell about a time you performed a random act of kindness or were the recipient of one. Will you make an effort to perform a random act of kindness on the 17th? Share details if you're so inclined, and if you have something specific in mind.



I have a pet peeve about grocery shopping carts. Many years ago an unattended cart in a parking lot was blown by a very strongest of  wind and it slammed into the driver's door of my car. Insurance doesn't pay for minor things like that but it left a BIG dent.


Ever since then, I have done my best to usher lonely carts in parking lots to the cart corral. I am pretty hard over about it. It's one small contribution I habitually make to better my community.

2. What's the most uplifting or encouraging thing you see happening in the world right now? You may have to dig deep for this one.


http://www.samaritanspurse.org

In spite of the news we hear daily, there are good things happening all over the world. I am especially heartened when I see/hear/read about the work of Samaritan's Purse, headed up by Franklin Graham, one of evangelist Billy Graham's sons. 

This organization not only takes Christmas shoe boxes to needy children all over the world every year, but when there are disasters, they are one of many Christian relief organizations that quickly and generously responds with just exactly what is needed. 

3. Black olives, black currants, black grapes, black beans, blackberries, Oreo... your favorite food the color of night? Your least favorite on the list?

My least favorite on this list is the Oreos since they are the least nutritional although they do serve to lift a sorry spirit when served with a glass of cold milk. My favorite would be blackberries, fresh ones. I had some just last week and they were wonderful.

4. A while back I read (here) a list of 12 things you should do before you turn 50. They were --

travel when you have the chance, take care of your skin, learn a foreign language, make exercise a habit, leave a toxic situation, stop caring what others think about you, stop worrying, volunteer, sped time with your grandparents, pledge to work less, learn to cook an amazing dish, and seize an opportunity as it arises.

What do you think of the list? What would you add or remove and why? If you're over 50, have you done all 12? If you're not yet 50, have you done any at all? What's on the list that you haven't done, but would like to do?

That's a lot to answer, but I'll do my best with one concise paragraph.....  I am well past 50 and yes, I've done most of those 12 things.  Exercising like I should and worrying about the opinions of others are my 2 weak areas on this list. Since I went gluten- and dairy-free 27 months ago, I've learned to make some pretty awesome green salads, which is my response to learning to cook an amazing dish.

5. Besides the classic Christmas flicks, what's your favorite film where winter plays a part in the setting?

I liked Sean Connery in The Hunt for Red October. A quote I remember was by Russian 2nd Rank Vasily Borodin (as he is dying), "I would like to have seen Montana."


Vasily Borodin

6. When did you last feel helpless, and what did you do about it? 

This is a very personal question, so I'll reply by telling you when was the last time I felt THE MOST helpless. That was a little over 7 years ago when I took a terrible fall in my kitchen, and fought to not lose consciousness while waiting for the ambulance. What did I do about it? I prayed, tried to breathe deeply and asked for a wet wash cloth to chew on for the cotton-mouth feeling I had. (a cup of water would have been a sure ticket to barf!!)

7. Share a favorite proverb.


My guess is that many of my blogging friends will choose this same piece of counsel found in Proverbs 3:5-6


Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him [God]
And He will direct your path.

8. Share your own random thought here.

My blogging friend, Terri at Your Friend From Florida, has had to do some hard waiting in the past week or so when her husband became seriously ill. She posted several graphics that really spoke to me. Here are two of them:



Thanks for the inspiration, Terri!


--------------------


9 comments:

  1. I wasn't aware about the situation with Terri's husband...will be praying! I, too, try to return shopping carts to the cart corral when I find them in parking lots about to slam into cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gathering up the random grocery carts is a NICE thing to do...I am usually crawling by the time I get back to the parking lot with my groceries what with my knees, but I DO still put my grocery cart in the designated area for just that reason you spoke of. Nothing more annoying then them floating all over. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with the grocery carts, that's why we park w-a-y out in the back of the carpark. My husband always walks the cart back.

    Have a great rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting me know my posts inspired you. I was really just trying to boost myself a bit with the reminders. Happy to know they helped others too!! Joe is doing much better now. Still a long road ahead, but much better! We both picked the same Proverb! I enjoyed your Hodgepodge!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Returning grocery carts is one of my favorite things to do, too because it is also one of my pet peeves. So rude to leave them out. Samaritan's Purse really does lift your spirits especially when you hear the stories of the children's' response to their shoeboxes. I love it. This last year we did a cute little thing with washcloths and soap for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful post, Barbara, thank you...many Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unreturned shopping carts rank right up there in my list of pet peeves. Particularly when a person parks beside the return, but can't move the car two feet to actually slide it in the column. I also love the work of Samaritan's Purse. They're out there doing the hard work in times of disaster and distress, bringing hope when people feel hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! Rounding up grocery carts must keep you busy! I take a straggler in from time to time, but life is not long enough to round them all up. I can only imagine the helplessness of waiting for an ambulance. I have done that a few times, but I was not the one who needed it. Course, by the time it arrived, I very nearly needed it. Totally agree with the definition of patience...it's the attitude not the wait time. This lets me know that I have not yet arrived.

    ReplyDelete