Pages

Monday, February 29, 2016

A Week of Mushbrain


Art imitating life

It is only because I keep a personal journal that I know I did not sleep through this past week.  All I really remember is going through about 3 men's size cotton handkerchiefs a day, plus a lot of kleenex, and drinking HOT herbal tea at all hours, often while all I know and love were fast asleep in their beds. 


A violent cold virus swept through the Brown Bungalow, hitting Beloved first, and then almost a week-to- the-minute later bringing me down as well. 

I don't know who shared their germs with us but I suspect it was two of my texting buddies who live in Texas and Arizona. No, we haven't been with them face-to-face for many months, but these gals and their husbands had what sounds to be the exact same illness shortly after the Christmas holidays, so I feel certain we must have caught it from them, via text messaging!!


wall hanging of tulip blocks I made about 14 years ago

A friend in my Sunday School class has begun a new quilting group  at church. I had so hoped to begin working on our assigned project this past week -- quilting is so dear to my heart. But no, the basement was entirely too cold for a person in my state of illness-wracked body.

Roasted Butternut Squash

My long-time readers know that (like my daughter) I am an avid heath-food advocate, so I felt that if I cooked just the right produce I might magically be made well from the virus that was gripping my body more thoroughly with each passing day.

Coloring quietly with a cup of tea nearby


When that seemed to effect little for me, I resorted to an adult-version of a kindergarten activity: coloring at the kitchen table. By then I was becoming so sleep-deprived that my mind could handle little else.

Coloring with Dr. Charles Stanley

Then I got a brain flash that I could be enriching my spirit while filling in the designs with colored pencils. Listening to sermon podcasts on my laptop was a very enjoyable activity.

from our daughter
Notes from well-wishers were much appreciated, via snail mail, email, text messaging, and Face Book.

metal work design from Hobby Lobby in my guest bathroom

They say a cold lasts a week or seven days. Well, I dunno about that, but the symptoms are finally weakening. Now the trick is to not re-enter the normal routines too quickly lest there be a re-lapse. My personal medical history has at least two episodes of pneumonia that developed from doing too much too soon. I don't relish repeating that.

Here's to a better week!


5 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhh I am so sorry...that crud hit here too...I pray you get to get feeling better...I have no remedy either...mine turned into Bronchitis...ugh...

    Keeping you in prayer, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, it sounds like a dreadful week, all except for the podcasts. I enjoy those too. Hope you're well over the hump and on the short road to wellness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a horrid week you have had. I agree with you that you need to rest and take it easy for a few more days, at least. Don't rush back to "normal" until you know you are completely well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear! John spent ten days getting over a nasty head cold. I took Echinacea like crazy and managed to also come down with a lesser version Saturday evening. I can sleep, though. I didn't think with all this antibiotic that I would get it so it surprised me. Glad that you are on the mend. A week of that stuff can drive a gal bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope you feel much better very soon.

    ReplyDelete