Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Last January Hodgepodge for 2016

foothills just outside of Denver in January
Today I am responding to the writing prompts from Joyce at From This Side of the Pond.

1. Share a winter memory from your childhood.

When I was six years old, my family moved from Oklahoma to New York. The amount of winter snow near Lake Erie was amazing. My parents bought a round metal "flying saucer" to which my father tied a rope handle and then he would pull Sister and me on the saucer through the snow. We loved it.



2. What was on your blog this time last year?



This is an interesting question because I do, from time to time, go back into my blog archives to see what I was writing about a year ago. Last year on January 24th I was asking myself the question, what am I supposed to be doing, in light of recent murders by our enemies and the expectation that it would only get worse (and it has). Others have written about this question as well. 

My conclusion was (and still is) to draw closer to the Lord in Bible study, prayer, and fellowship with like-minded Christians, and live my life as normally as I can.


3. Ellen Goodman is quoted as saying, 'We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives...not looking for flaws, but for potential.'



Do you see more flaws or more potential in your life at the start of a new year? More potential. Have you done anything specific this month to address either one? Yes. I have looked at where I am, made some decisions about helpful changes, and acted upon them. Does the new year truly begin for you on January 1, or is there some other month of the year that feels like a fresh start and a new beginning? January always feels like a fresh start for me, but I also think about such things in March (my birthday month), in September (when new Bible studies at church start up), and Thanksgiving (when we count our blessings over the past year).


4. Who's an athlete you admire or respect and why? Peyton Manning, #18 of the Denver Broncos.



Peyton Manning is a successful quarterback, a conservative Republican, and a Christian who believes in acting out his faith instead of just speaking about it (see The Political Insider). I also appreciate that he shows up to after-game press conferences dressed in a business suit and tie and chooses his words carefully, articulating his thoughts well. He appears to understand that his position is an opportunity to positively influence others and does not handle his success with reckless abandon.


5. Do you like cream in your coffee?  Whipped cream on your pumpkin pie? Cream cheese on a bagel? Sour cream on a baked potato? Cream of wheat for breakfast? Have you ever had a scone with clotted cream. Of all the creamy foods mentioned, which one sounds most appealing to you right this very minute?

Well boo! I'm lactose-intolerant, so I can't enjoy any of these things without some unpleasant side effects. But I do make a very creamy non-dairy "Alfredo Sauce" that hits the spot for me! (it's made with cashews in the Vitamix)



6. Where were you last kept waiting for 'hours on end'? Or for what felt like hours on end? How well did you cope?


I honestly can't remember when this last happened to me. Having something good to read on my iPhone makes waiting so much easier than it used to be.

7. Believe it or not, when next week's Hodgepodge rolls around it will be February. Bid adieu here to January in seven words or less.

Goodbye January 2016; we have been productive!


8. Insert your own random thought here.



Is anybody else having trouble adapting to these light bulbs?It's tricky figuring out which ones to use when the old-style ones burn out. They time to "warm up" to their full illumination, and then we can't just toss them into the trash when they burn out -- and they DO BURN OUT! (they have mercury in them, which is a hazardous substance) Remind me again what's so wonderful about them???
------------------------------
Linking up with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond



7 comments:

  1. I love your conclusion. Yes, at Thanksgiving when we look back and give thanks for the past year is a great time for a fresh start. We stopped using those light bulbs due to the mercury content. We are using energy saving ones that look like the old traditional light bulbs now. I still have a bag of those swirly ones somewhere that need to be returned to the store for recycling. Have a great rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I like the old lightbulbs much better. Wish I could still find them. Peyton Manning is an excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh-the bulbs! We're huge Peyton fans here too...hubs and I went to uni in Tenn, and lived there when we first married. My in-laws are still there, and we loved seeing Peyton in Neyland Stadium back in the day. I appreciate him for all the reasons mentioned in your post. I posted a picture of my sister and I on a metal saucer-so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love peyton, enjoyed your answers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peyton is one of the good one, for sure! As for those light bulbs, I agree with you. What good are they and how can they be saving us money and saving the environment? Mercury causes all kinds of health issues. In 10 years they will telling us we have contaminated our bodies by being in a room with those bulbs in our lamps. Government control. It has to end!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed all your answers, a great way to get to know people! I DO NOT like those light bulbs, I wish 'they' had stayed away from our good old fashioned bulbs!! Hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm so sorry you cannot enjoy any of those creamy foods. Boo, is right! Try LED bulbs. You will love them. We have LED's throughout our new house and love them and I burn them in all the lamps. Yes, they are expensive but they last forever, like 20+ years. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete