Pages

Friday, January 29, 2016

Food for the Soul

photography by Surfer Girl

But godliness with contentment is great gain.
 I Timothy 6:6

Today I'm focusing on the Ten Commandments having to do with relationships as found in Exodus 20:12 - 17.

The one that really spoke to my heart (and where I felt the most convicted) was verse 17, You shall not covet...

While I have been in church since before I was born (I come from a devoted church-going family), it is a surprise and a delight to still see truth from Scripture that I've not especially noted before. Today was one of those times.

Did you know that we honor God by having a contented heart? 

Did you know that nurturing discontent causes us to be restless in spirit?

Did you know that a restless spirit causes us to be fickle, running from one thing to another, never finding satisfaction?

Did you know that a restless, discontent heart leads us to accomplish little and even harms relationships?

Did you know that discontent can be a lack of appreciation and respect for what God has given to us and leads to thinking we can come up with something better than what God has provided?


The secret of contentment is to be 
"so satisfied with God that we are able to accept 
whatever He has or has not provided." 
Philip Graham Ryken


So the basis of discontent is that we are not satisfied with God!

After meditating on my lack of contentment, here are some of my conclusions:

-  When I am content with God's provisions, I am demonstrating gratitude for His blessings.

-   When I take good care of what God has given and entrusted to me, I show respect and gratitude to Him.

-   Prayer, Bible study, church attendance and regular fellowship with other Believers in Christ helps me to be satisfied with God and what He has given to me.

While I realize some amount of dissatisfaction is necessary if we are to move forward and progress, my guess is that more often than not, it is the sin of discontent that steers us into trouble. 

At least, that's how it is with me.




5 comments:

  1. Oh how guilty I am at times with that word discontent. Thank you for the remainder...have a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very powerful message. I have been so guilty of discontentment and the sad thing is God has always provided all my needs. Blessed beyond measure. Will be striving to dodge satan's darts of discontentment. 1 John 4:4..He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful message and reminder!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great message this Saturday afternoon! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete