Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

A Seasonal Hodgepodge

some of the crowd in my dining room

Today is Hodgepodge Wednesday and although my snow people may look like Christmas, they are just brightening up the cold, dark days of January.

As I give my answers to the questions, I'm linking up with other bloggers and our hostess, Joyce, at her blog, From This Side of the Pond.

1. When did you last 'skate on thin ice,' 'skate over the details,' 'encounter a cheapskate,' or just plain skate?

Believe it or not, I tend to 'skate over the details' a lot here on my blog! There are just some things that the general public doesn't need to know, care to know, or that I'm too private to want them to know!

2. What would you say is the biggest problem of people your age?

Finding a restaurant with a quiet atmosphere so we can carry on a conversation! Ha!

Well, no, that's probably not our biggest problem although most of us in our mid-sixties are losing our hearing.  Deciding what to do with retirement (when to do it, where to live and what to do with ourselves) is probably a bigger issue.

3. What's your favorite accessory? Is it something you wear every day, often, or only on special occasions?

My favorite accessories are my wedding rings and earrings. After that, it's scarves. I wear one nearly every day, even if it's just a warm one tossed over my hoodie or coat when I'm outside. Most Sundays I wear them to church. I love the look and they keep the arthritic bones in my neck warm.

4. January 20th is National Cheese Lover's Day. Are you a lover of cheese? What's your favorite dish made with cheese? Last thing you ate that contained some kind of cheese?

Daiya cheese
LOVE cheese, but it doesn't treat me nice since I'm lactose intolerant. I have discovered Daiya cheese, which is an alternative that can be used for grilled cheese, mac'n cheese, tacos, nachos and so forth. I buy it in both the cheddar cheese style and also mozzarella style (great on tofu lasagna, by the way). My local Kroger grocery store carries it, as well as Sprouts (and probably Whole Foods); but Walmart doesn't carry it. It's in the same refrigerated section as the tofu.... and the last thing I had with this cheese was quesadillas just this past Sunday night. Using corn tortillas to make the quesadillas and Daiya Cheddar cheese, the menu was entirely gluten-free.

Quesadilla wedges with a hearty green salad
5. What's something guaranteed to make you roll your eyes?

Just about anything that comes from the mouth of the highest elected political leader of our country.

6. What is your favorite book series?

I don't tend to follow [fiction] book series much because after 2 books by the same author, I usually see a predictable pattern and my interest drops.

7. Why did you choose your profession?

I always wanted to be a wife and a stay-at-home mom. That was my goal and the Lord has graciously allowed that dream to come true.  However, my parents decided I should get a diploma at a business college (a 12-month trade school for secretaries) so I could get a good job if necessary or desired. Although I have not had to work outside of the home much over the last forty-some years, that education has proved to be very beneficial to me in many volunteer situations and in helping my home to run smoothly.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

The political scene is beyond "heating up" -- it's HOT! I won't try to tell anyone how to vote but I do urge all American adults to vote.  

Even if it appears we have to vote for 'the lesser of two evils', don't let this opportunity to make much-needed changes get past you. 


---------------
Linking up today at 




10 comments:

  1. Giggling over the roll your eyes comment, wink. Yes, I agree on the voting. This my sons first time being able to vote and he is actually doing homework on all the candidates (except Billary)--he is super excited and I marvel how he is not the normal 18-19 year old who is falling for the traps and the nonsense of the other democrat running.

    ANYWAYS---I enjoyed your answers, have a beautiful day and I love the snow people. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - I like your answer to #5 better than mine! I enjoyed your answers and agree with your take on those of us facing retirement soon. Life doesn't really get easier once you pass that 60 mark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Visiting from the link up. That salad and quesadillas look delicious! :-) Always enjoy meeting others that have stayed at home to raise their kids or who are currently! I'm in the current situation, lol and I love every minute. Have a great day!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think that some things shouldn't be shared on blogs!
    The political race is interesting; I'm glad I have time to decide; I keep flip-flopping between a couple of candidates...none of them being Trump!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...politics getting HOT? Really? LOL!

    Yes, many things should be left unsaid, which is why I am moseying along now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, politics. So important to vote. As a Canadian we just went through this. Watching your politic race heat up in the USA is certainly entertaining (and more than a little scary). Dropping by from HodgePodge Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lesser of two evils is the truth, at least, thus far. And, now Sarah Palin putting her two cents worth in. Mercy me!

    The salad and quesadillas look divine!

    Happy rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh. I laughed at your #5 answer. And those quesadillas look great. I use Food For Life GF brown rice tortillas. I love them as my homemade pizza crust. I bet they'd work for quesadillas and enchiladas too. No nice you found the dairy free cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saying hi from hodgepodge. I love your #5 answer - I'm rolling my eyes right beside you on that one.

    ReplyDelete