Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Recalling Pleasant Memories with Hodgepodge

In this week's Hodgepodge, our hostess Joyce, has given us questions that brought up some great memories for me. I've included links to several of them. If you have the time and are so inclined, click on the links to enjoy them for yourself!

By the way, sometimes Blogger plays nasty little tricks on me with font sizes. I can fiddle all I want and they just will not respond the way I want. I am seeing this in my preview and you will probably see it yourself as you read. I apologize. Just lean in closer to your monitor/screen to read the tiny print.





1. Did  you watch The Charlie Brown Christmas special Monday night? Who's your favorite Peanuts character and why? "Most psychiatrists agree that sitting in a pumpkin patch is excellent therapy for a troubled mind." ~Linus. Would you agree?



I did not watch The Charlie Brown Christmas special on Monday night TV. My favorite Peanuts character is Linus because he sees the situation clearly, always. I like the way he so simply and beautifully quotes the Christmas story from the book of Luke in the New Testament. I also like his blanket (this is a quilter saying that, you understand). 


But I also like how Charlie Brown refers with fondness to "the little red-haired girl." I have adopted that name for one of my daughters-in-law for obvious reasons.



And who doesn't like Snoopy?!  



As for the question about sitting in a pumpkin patch being excellent therapy for a troubled mind, just about anytime we can get away by ourselves to sit quietly in nature we benefit from the experience.


2. Describe a sound from your childhood. What does this sound bring to mind? I love piano music. My mother had records of piano music that I would play in my room over and over again. One of my favorites was Hugo Winterhalter's Canadian Sunset. 



There was a time when I was in junior high that she would play the piano in our home as I was preparing to walk to school. She played an especially good arrangement of "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross." I thought then, even as a ninth grader, and still now, what a wonderful way that was to send a child off to school.



3. You've won a trip to a winter wonderland...would that excite you? Hmm... we've had a lot of snow and cold here in Colorado in the last several weeks. However, if it's all-expenses paid and I can bring Beloved with me, sure, I'd get excited.



Which one of the following would you most want to experience (or which one would you dislike the least) -- 



- see the Aurora Borealis in Norway -- yes

- stay in Sweden's Ice Hotel -- this has me fascinated but I read on the Internet that the temperature in the rooms is -5 degrees.
- go dogsledding in Lapland Finland -- no
- take a winter wildlife safari in Yellowstone -- I prefer Yellowstone in the summer, and we have done that.
- celebrate Winter Carnival in Quebec?" -- this one appeals to me the most because it has plenty of people and civilized amenities for my tastes, in spite of the cold.

4. Who or what keeps you humble? My children (and I will not elaborate).


5. What part of preparing for Christmas do you like the most? Explain. Preparing and eating beef brisket on Christmas Eve with my family (whoever is able to be with us). It cooks all day, making the house smell wonderful. We catch the scent as soon as we walk in the door from attending the Christmas Eve service at church. We sit down to eat shortly after that. We have maintained this tradition since the early 1980s. This is the only time of year that I bake a brisket because I want to keep it special.



6. Gingerbread -- yah or nay? Is making a gingerbread house part of your family holiday tradition? Nay. This is not a part of our traditions. I'm not wild about gingerbread cookies but I do like a slice of buttered gingerbread with a cup of hot tea.



7. What's one thing you want to start, do, or complete before the calendar rolls into a new year? I'd like to get some fun sewing for myself at least begun, if not completed, by January 1st.... probably some handwork with felted wool.



8. Insert your own random thought here.



"We are shaped by what we habitually do." 



I heard this quote on the radio today. It was attributed to Aristotle. It's a fascinating thought and absolutely true. 

As we approach a new year and our penchant for making resolutions, I am reminded that when I decide to begin a new habit, there is great potential for self-improvement.
------------------


As stated at the beginning of today's blog post, the questions came from Joyce. I am linking up with my blogging friends at From This Side of the Pond to see how others have answered. Join me?

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the music. I remember this piece now that I hear it again. Children do keep us humble. A husband can do pretty well with that one, too. I am not that far from Quebec City, though I can't imagine attending a winter carnival. =D Your mother's send-off does sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love traditions like your beef brisket dinner on Christmas Eve. Our tradition is making clam chowder that goes back to probably before my dad was born. Traditions give me the warm fuzzies! Jealous of your weather! I don't like cold but would like to have a little snow. It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your answers. It's always fun to see how everyone answers the same questions. Since Joe and I are usually alone for Christmas Eve, we have had a tradition of going out for Chinese food. This year, we will be with family and enjoying a home-cooked meal!! Traditions are so important though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your Christmas Eve tradition. We go to my aunt's house after Christmas Eve service for a meal. A couple of years ago, my aunt had strep throat and we all sat around with sad faces and did not really do anything after attending church. Now that one of my daughters got married this summer, I am sad that our tradition will change...but happy that daughter will be making new traditions.

    ReplyDelete