Pages

Friday, December 18, 2015

Poinsettias You Don't Have to Water

Poinsettia with tag
This Christmas season I have made some fabric poinsettias from  the instructions in this magazine:


The bar code label says this issue is to be on display until something like November 7th, so it's probably not available on most newsstands any more. (sorry)


I really like poinsettias, especially if they are not dependent on me for their livelihood. This one pictured in the magazine was odd in that it was white and pink. I prefer red ones.


Even though red is my favorite, for my 'test case' I used the pink and white fabrics I had on hand to make this one. Using Heat 'n Bond Light made the project pretty easy, so then I pulled together the reds in my stash to make these:




There is some machine-stitching on these flower petals, so be absolutely sure you are using Heat 'n Bond light or your machine will get gummed up and need a visit to the repairman. 

The Heat 'n Bond is needed to make the layers of fabric for the petals to stick to each other, then the machine stitching adds more texture, dimension, and helps it to hold together better if the Heat 'n Bond comes undone at some later time.

These flowers are not hard and are actually easier if you make a lot of them, assembly-line style. What took the longest was deciding which fabrics to use. My habit is to do my best to use what I already have on hand -- it's sort of like a game I play with myself.


In one afternoon all these flowers bloomed in my sewing room! I just adore them and it's been hard to give them away. But that was my plan all along, to share.


The only thing I did not like about the pattern in the magazine was the tag. They made one out of taupe-colored linen that had to be machine-sewn, then turned right-side-out, and no provision was made for handwriting a greeting.  I tried making a tag with felt and cutting a rectangle out, and inserting paper for a message, but that was too labor-intensive for me. My final solution was to make the tags out of neutral linen-looking card stock. On the non-linen side, I used my colored pens and my very best penmanship to begin the personalized greeting for each flower.




Then I used my hot glue gun to adhere the poinsettia to its tag and punched a hole at the top of the tag. Colored ribbons were inserted into the hole, made into a loop and tied off so the entire project could serve as a gift tag now and as a tree ornament later!


Some were used to decorate jars of goodies, and some were inserted in envelopes with Christmas cards (extra postage due, however).


The very last one belongs to me, a souvenir of handwork from the Christmas season of 2015!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Barbara. When you mentioned Poinsetta's, I thought of my childhood, we had those in the side yard and my mother hated them and had my father take them out. I, for one, think they are beautiful, especially the white ones. Many Holiday Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are just lovely, Barbara!! Anyone receiving one will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete