Formerly The Brown Bungalow, this blog has changed names to reflect my new location in the deep South. We are leaving the Columbines for Magnolias; donating wooly socks to buy sandals; pouring out the hot beverages to sip iced tea; and building sand castles instead of snowmen.
This is that time of the week when I link up with other bloggers at From This Side of the Pond to answer questions pertinent to current events, trends, holidays, etc. It's a fun method to connect with bloggers all over the country and I've made some very nice friends as a result.
1. Many family members have a story they love to tell every year around a holiday. Does your family have one? Are you the star of that story, or does another family member take center stage? Share your story if you want.
Many years ago when all 3 of my children were in the years of preschool and early elementary school, they were asked to be in our church nativity play. Our daughter was an angel, our second son was a shepherd, and our eldest son was given the part of Joseph -- only he misunderstood and thought he was to be the Joseph of the Old Testament, the one who was given a coat of many colors by his father Jacob. He was very disappointed to realize he had to be married to Mary and there was no brilliant coat of many colors in the story.
nativity in my dining room
2. Are you afraid to speak your own opinion?
Yes and no.
3. Pantone has announced the color of the year for 2016, and for the first time have chosen two hades-rose quartz and serenity. Hmmm…did you know serenity as a color? you can read the thought behind their selection here, but essentially it’s blending the warmth of rose quarts with the tranquility of a very soft shade of blue. So what do you think? Are these colors I’d find in your home or wardrobe? Will you add something in these shades to either place in the new year?
I looked up these colors and although they are pretty, they are too weak for me. I need a little more pizzazz!
4. If you could be in a Christmas carol, which one would you choose? Why?
I would be in the carol, "What Child is This?" so I could see the baby Jesus with my own eyes. My second choice would be "Joy to the World" because I'd love to see the huge host of angels filling the sky.
5. December 9th is National Pastry Day. Will you celebrate? When did you last purchase anything from a bakery? What’s your favorite treat that falls under the heading of pastry? Do you make it yourself or buy from the professionals?
I have been gluten-free for over 2 years so I don't eat pastries any more. Cherry Pie was my favorite back in the day. Beloved bought a beautiful cupcake just last week at a cupcake shop, so that's the most recent purchase from a bakery.
6. When it comes to holiday decorating ———————.
The Brown Bungalow is ready for Christmas
We just aren't very skilled/talented/whatever at decorating the outside of our house and we are no longer willing to climb ladders to get the job done. Ladders combined with ice and snow are not a good thing. Our indoor decor is better.
7. When did you last laugh so much that it hurt? Explain.
I don't remember the specific time, but our eldest son can make me laugh so hard that the back of my head hurts. Unfortunately he lives on the other side of the country, so I don't get to enjoy his humor in person very often.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Joy is not always 'happiness.' Joy is a relationship with Jesus Christ and trusting Him to get us through whatever comes our way with an ultimately good outcome.