Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

What a Difference a Day Makes...

We had our first real snowstorm of the season blow in and then blow out, all in less than 12 hours. I thought it would be fun to celebrate the first storm with some before and after pictures. The ones on the left were taken at about 4:30pm on Tuesday and the ones on the right were taken the next morning (Wednesday) around 7:30am. 


The storm arrived after midnight, so we woke up to a winter wonderland of beauty that looks best from the perspective inside the house while wearing warm jammies and holding a hot cup of coffee!


That's snow drifted up against the bottom of the sliding glass door on the right, with more stuck on the glass, higher up.

We got about 5 inches total here in Castle Rock, less up in Denver. (we are at a higher elevation, which often means more snow and colder temperatures) It was a wet, heavy snow, good for making snowballs and snow people -- although Beloved and I don't do much of that any more.

Beloved with the snow blower on our driveway

Would you believe it, by 10a.m. the sun was out and Beloved was firing up the snow blower! Oftentimes that is the case around here --  the storms come in quick and leave fast. With our brilliant sunshine and blue-blue skies, the snow tends to melt quickly, unless the temperature is really cold.

Seeing the quick changes in weather often reminds me of Dinah Washington's hit song, What a Difference a Day Makes. Beloved knows I can't listen to this song without joining in, adding my own exaggerated warble to the words. Click on the link if you'd like to listen and/or sing along!

I'm dedicating this post to Sue, who has recently moved to a place where it seldom snows (but gets ice storms), and Mary, who is a snowbird in Arizona but failed to get out of town before this one hit.




5 comments:

  1. Barbara, I just came over from your comment at Cranberry Morning. I don't have a problem with gluten myself, but I've developed lots of gluten-free recipes for my friends who do. I love your photos, especially the one of your lovely deck under snow. Definitely a difference! Now excuse me while I listen to the song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Just listened to the song and then found this version by a little girl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHnkVextoQw -- amazing! (She'd appreciate your including the "warble!")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that it doesn't take long to move on. We have had such a beautiful autumn that I am not ready for this kind of weather. I'll not feel a bit sorry for you since it won't last and you seem to take it in stride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always happy to see pictures of other people's snow, but I don't care to ever see it in person again! We are getting our first cooler temperatures this weekend. The highs will be in the mid-70s!! Our winter has also arrived! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was fun to wake up to the first snow of this season! We also had 5 inches. Most of it has melted, except form the grass.

    ReplyDelete