Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Thankfulness on the Wednesday Hodgepodge

Snapdragons from my back yard

This is Hodgepodge Wednesday, the day when I answer questions posed by Joyce over at her blog, From This Side of the Pond. After answering the questions, I link up with other bloggers to see their responses to the same questions.

1. Besides Thanksgiving, something you're looking forward to on your November calendar?

November is the month of my husband’s birthday, which sometimes falls on Thanksgiving Day, so that is fun.

2.  If I gave you a thank you card right now who would you send it to and why?

I  did this just yesterday, sending the card to a lady who does a fine service every two weeks, meeting a need I am not able to directly fulfill myself.

3. Of the breads listed, which one's your favorite...bagel, cinnamon, sourdough, garlic, banana, biscuit, pita, Naan, or plain old fashioned white bread?

Back in the days when I ate bread, before I went gluten-free, I’d have to say that homemade bread from my bread maker was my favorite.  While the taste and texture of gluten-free bread is getting better all the time, I seldom eat it due to the high calorie content and its tendency to take up residence just below my waistline!!

4. What's something you have in abundance? Is that a good thing?

This past July Beloved helped clear rock for a flower garden in our back yard.
ROCKS!!!  Since I live in a semi-arid climate and water is very expensive in my town, we are encouraged to do xeriscaping in our yards. That translates to lots of rock! Yes, it's good thing. Rocks don't need to be watered or mowed or shoveled when we get snow. Weeds show up in stark contrast to the rocks, so it's easy to pull them before they take over.

5. November 5th is National Love Your Red Hair Day. Are there any redheads in your family? Who's your favorite redhead?

I like to refer to one of my daughters-in-law as “the lil’ red-haired girl," and she is definitely my favorite redhead.

6.  The travel website Busbud recently calculated the most Instagrammed spot in every state. Go here to see what made the list where you live. Are you happy with your state's #1? If not what do you think should be the most photographed spot in your state? Have you snapped a photo there? If you live outside the USA answer as it relates to your state, city or province.

I asked Beloved what he thought would be the answer to this question for our state, and he thought it would be Maroon Bells, mountains given that name outside of Aspen, Colorado.

Internet photo of Maroon Bells, Colorado
However, according to the website Joyce gave to us, it was a man-made feature that gets the most Instagram attention in Colorado:

photo from the Internet, Google: Coors Field Denver Colorado
The #1 most Instagrammed spot in Colorado is reported to be Coors Field, which is in downtown Denver. It’s the home field for our baseball team, the Colorado Rockies. I would rather that the most Instagrammed place be some of our scenic mountains, but I’ve got nothing against baseball, so, okay. 

7. What's something you've learned about yourself this year that you're grateful for?

My gluten-free and dairy-free way of eating is serving me well. 

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Susie Larson is a gal who has written some books and has brief daily devotions on Face Book. Her stuff is so good and uplifting. Here is one example:

Morning Blessing: May you lift your chin today and look up to the One who will never fail you. Instead of being derailed by your disappointments, may you sense the divine invitation here to believe that the story is far from over. He who began a good work will be faithful to bring it to completion. Don’t give up hope. Don’t let go of the promise. Refuse to rehash your losses. Instead, look to the One who goes before you. He’ll consume your enemy. He WILL bring beauty out of the ashes of your pain. He’ll do that for you. Trust Him wholeheartedly today and keep marching forward. You’re a brave soul even when you don’t feel like one. 

---------------------------
I'm linking up with other bloggers today at From This Side of the Pond.




10 comments:

  1. Another beautiful Hodgepodge...love the snapdragons and I had no idea water was expensive there...we don't have to pay for water/sewage as it is included with our rent...however, if we were ever to buy a house, it (water/sewage) costs $80 every three months.

    Have a beautiful Wednesday, friend. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a gluten-free pumpkin spice cookies recipe last week. They were delicious! I think I have more of a sensitivity than actual celiac, having never been tested, so I am looking forward to one slice of homemade white bread when the weather is cold. I know that I should go dairy free also, but I rely so much on my Fage yogurt to get enough mid-morning or mid-afternoon protein. I'd be interested in knowing what you do about that. Anyway, I've baked my own gluten free bread, but find it easier to simply avoid bread altogether and eat Tinkyada pasta from time to time. Hope you have a good rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandparents had a big farm outside of Denver, and I spent many a fun summer holiday there. I could not believe the spot most photographed wasn't either The Rocky Mountains or the Aspens. So many man made things made the list. I guess we go to ball games and zoos and take a lot of selfies : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have thought Estes Park might be the number 1 in Colorado. Sad most places on the list were man made and sports related. I have always thought to do some xeriscaping in Texas because of our droughts. Haven't gotten there yet, but hoping to do some in the back and side yards. Stopping by for the HP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fun Hodgepodge and I enjoyed your answers! I will check out Susie Larson's site and sign up for her inspiring devotions. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this and I enjoyed the Susie Larson lesson... I really like your garden in the midst of the rocks...looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, most instagrammed definitley does not mean the most iconic or the most beautiful. (I just looked at my state...boo hiss...Old Orchard Beach indeed. Phooey.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed your answers. I think these were the most photographed and posted on instagram but certainly not the most photographed overall because how would they know. Anyway it was a good question.

    MAMA Bear

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my hodgepodge today! I enjoyed your post, especially your random thought. There's a lot of good advice in that reading.

    ReplyDelete