Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2015

How to Hang the Welcome

handmade wreath created with a green wire frame and
burlap ribbon attached with florist wire.
My former next-door-neighbor taught me to do this last year

Around here the wind really blows at times. So much so that we've had a hard time keeping a wreath hung on our front porch. It's been a real problem that is no small thing to one like me who likes to put homemade decorative country touches both inside and outside of the house. I have lost count of how many times our wreaths have gone a-blowin' in the wind during storms.

Now that we've been here for about 2  1/2 years, I've finally come up with a solution.  Forgive me, but I think it's pretty clever. I won't keep my inspiration to myself.  Here is what we did.


find these screw eyes at Lowes or your local home improvement store

Using a simple nail to hold the wreath in place had proven to be most unsatisfactory, and a cup hook doesn't always work either, when the wind is so very blustery.

I decided we needed to replace the nail with one of these screw eyes (a screw with an eye instead of a head). There are so many sizes and varieties of these that it made my head spin, but this is what I brought home from Lowes.

note: you can buy an eye screw that is a clip that opens, but I think it would hard to use -- you decide.

bummer - the picture is upside down!
We also used a carabiner (look it up on Wikipedia if you're not into hiking or mountain-climbing). They come in lots of sizes and are probably most famous for use with hanging equipment off yourself when in outdoor sports. My only outdoor sport is walking the neighborhood, so this is something I normally would know nothing about. Beloved is acquainted with them, however, and bought some for me from Walmart. (look in sporting goods) The hole of the eye screw needs to be big enough to thread the carabiner through.

attach the carabiner to the back of the wreath
Here I am attaching the carabiner to the back of the wreath.

Beloved installed the eye screw into the siding on the porch 
The next step is not pictured because it was impossible to do so. But what we did was to open the carabiner and slip it through the eye of the screw on the wall, close the carabiner, and Voila', it was done!


wreath hanging with an eye screw and a carabiner

I feel confident this will hold during a windstorm and surely hope it does because if it comes off, some slats of siding may go with it!

using a carabiner to hold storage cabinet closed
We have one more handy use for the carabiner.... Again, during the wildest of our storms, the lid to our storage bin on the deck can fly open. While we have nothing in there valuable enough to warrant a lock, we do use a carabiner to ensure the lid doesn't open when we don't want it to.

Post Script: I have posted the directions for making this wreath a couple of times. If you missed it, click on this link for instructions. Thanks so much to Sheila of Missouri for teaching me how to make  this wreath.

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty and what a clever idea. We are expecting the white stuff for the weekend...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. An absolutely excellent solution to your flying wreath!! What a smart idea!!

    ReplyDelete