Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Well Worn Phrases Apply

Snapdragons in the rain on our deck

"There is always something for which to be thankful."
Charles Dickens

"You don't have to look far to see 
someone worse off than yourself."

"All things work together for good to them that love God 
and are called according to His purpose." 
Romans 8:28

One morning just a couple of days ago, I woke shortly before the alarm clock went off. I lay there snuggled up against Beloved and immediately began to silently thank God my husband was alive and well. 

Just the week before, two ladies I know lost their husbands, both pretty suddenly. Truly, 

"all we have is today" 

and to be even more realistic, all we know we have is this moment. In the twinkling of an eye everything can change dramatically.

We attended the funeral of one of those dear men this past Thursday. On that morning we woke to rain hitting the roof hard and a steady drip of water falling from the ceiling fan in the master bathroom into a plastic bucket on the floor. Since we live in a new house, the drip is disconcerting, but Beloved is in contact with people to look into the matter.

I choose to be thankful for those things that are going right and to trust God when things go awry.

"Into each life some rain must fall."

If we believe that God has everything under His control, then we should also rest in the assurance that He is working out all the details in whatever way is truly right. More often than not, God's methods and solutions do not line up with my opinions, but He wants me to trust Him anyway.

Many years ago I was bleeding uncontrollably and had to have emergency surgery at midnight. The entire matter was out of my hands and I had to trust my surgeon completely to do what was in my best interests.

We need to trust God like that because we are at His mercy at all times. There are certain things we absolutely cannot handle. We need to rely on our Lord to do  what is truly right. We need to trust God, who loves us more than anything, to take care of us and all that concerns us. 

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him
and He will direct your path."
Proverbs 3:5-6

Many of the well-worn phrases and Bible verses we have heard all our lives do apply. Because we have heard them so much, we sometimes gloss over their meaning and application to our circumstances. I want to be more thoughtful and understanding, relying fully on the Lord --  allowing my faith to grow during the rainstorms of my days.

4 comments:

  1. Indeed...thank you for such a thoughtful post...Have a beautiful weekend. (and you changed your blog header, smiles)---Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right that all we have is "this moment". You mentioned the rain on the day of the funeral. For some reason, I always find it fitting when it rains for a funeral. It's like the angels are crying. I'm so sorry for the loss of your two friends' husbands. Wishing you a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It's like the angels are crying." I like that, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes,life can throw a curveball when we are least expecting it. You are so right, all we have is this moment. I try to never forget to thank the Lord for the "here and now" but this was a sweet reminder of how fleeting life can be. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete