Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

More of Autumn in the Air via Hodgepodge


pumpkins in my brother-in-law's garden; photo by Sister

Sometimes I write my Hodgepodge Wednesday on Tuesday. Bloggers all over the world (well, at least in the USA and Europe, as far as I know) respond to these questions provided by our hostess, Joyce, and then we all link up at her blog, From This Side of the Pond.


1. It's October so let's get this out there first thing... have you jumped on the all-things pumpkin bandwagon? How so?


candle wrap I made during the football game this past weekend
(not to worry; that's an electric candle)


No, I haven't really gone wild with the pumpkin thing yet this year, although I've decorated with them. I've been having some routine medical lab tests recently that require fasting, clear fluids only, etc. After that business is done, I'll make some pumpkin goodies to celebrate good health.



2. "We have more power than will; and it is often by way of excuse to ourselves that we fancy things are impossible." (Francois Duc De la Rochefoucauld)



What's something you once thought impossible, but in hindsight see as more a matter of lack of will?




My challenge was getting my typing and shorthand speeds up to graduation standards when I was in secretarial school (decades ago). Yes, I achieved all that was required, in spite of thinking it would be impossible at the beginning.


3. The rose is America's National Flower, but every state also has its own. Are you happy with yours? If you were in charge what would you declare your state's flower? If you're outside the U.S. what bloom would you like to see labeled as your country's national flower? 



Rocky Mountain Columbine (Aquilegia caerules)
The Rocky Mountain Columbine is the state flower for Colorado. I am completely satisfied with it, although here at The Brown Bungalow we are having a tough time getting it to grow.

4. What have you lost interest in recently?

Wearing sandals. Our high temperature today is in the low 60s and it's raining. I'm wearing knee socks with warm rubber soled shoes and a fleece vest. Most years in Colorado, winter tends to arrive sooner rather than later.


5. In your opinion, who's the best living musician? 



What an impossible question to answer!! I could give a long list of my favorite musicians, but to narrow it down to one being the best -- I can't do that.



6. S'mores -- love 'em or no? Ever make them indoors? Last time you sat around an outdoor fire? Are making s'mores and sitting round a fire pit on your autumn bucket list? Do you have an autumn bucket list?



S'mores - yes, I love them but they don't love me (anymore). Graham flour is a no-no for those of us who are gluten-intolerant. But back before I knew all that, they were great. 



As for an autumn bucket list: Beloved and I have plans to have lunch at the famous and elegant Stanley Hotel in Estes Park (hopefully before the snow flies) as an early celebration of our 45th wedding anniversary (which is just days before Christmas). We also look forward to passing out candy to all the cute lil' kids in our neighborhood on October 31st. In November we plan to celebrate Beloved's 65th birthday and Thanksgiving with our son and his wife who live locally. 



7. Your favorite small town? Why?



Graphic designed by author of The Brown Bungalow


Georgetown and Tiny Town are my favorites, with Estes Park and Castle Rock close behind (all are in Colorado). Georgetown and Tiny Town were the inspirations for my fictitious bed and breakfast stories. Georgetown was the filming location for a movie starring John Denver, The Christmas Gift (1986). 



Nestled into the Rocky Mountains at an elevation over 2 miles above sea level,  this charming Victorian-era town catches a lot of the ski traffic on Interstate 70 and draws crowds for two weekends in December for the annual Christmas Market. 



Fictitiously, just outside of the busy part of the village against a backdrop of tall pine trees sits Grammys Place Bed and Breakfast. I haven't written stories there for quite a while because true life current events have rather sucked the whimsey out of me. 



But from time to time I am wistfully reminded by my husband and a friend or two that those were the better times in my writing career.




For one sample of those stories, click here: A Dreamy New Year's Eve

8. Insert your own random thought here.


another snapshot from my brother-in-law's pumpkin patch
I think Charlie Brown, Linus, Lucy and the rest of the Peanuts gang would love this!

----------------------

With all of that said, if you would like to follow the link to Joyce's blog, From This Side of the Pond, simply click here.

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't name the best musician either. Glad I'm not alone on that one! I enjoyed your Tuesday Hodgepodge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These questions and your answers are always interesting, Barbara.

    I also like Georgetown and Estes Park. Do you take the Peak to Peak highway when you go to Estes Park? It is one of our favorite drives. We have not visited Tiny Town as yet --hopefully we can bring our granddaughter there in the summer of 2016. We visited Georgetown during a fall foliage trip and I was sad to see that many of the stores off main street were closed or for lease. The town was very very quiet. I hope the holiday season will help businesses there pick up.

    I hope all your tests turn out well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhhhhh how that Victorian town looks so quaint. Thanks for sharing...and loveeeeeeee Grammy's Place, wink. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. My former neighbors just recently moved to Montrose, Colorado and she sent me the welcome center book. That place is gorgeous! I think we need to make a trip to your fair state.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard today on the news there would be snow in the mountains of Colorado soon! Love the state flower. It is a beauty! And there are so many quaint and beautiful towns there to explore!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Small mountain towns have a special kind of charm. I'm still grabbing flip flops some days but it's not as much fun as it was in the summer. Love me some boot and jean weather too : )

    ReplyDelete