Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Hodgepodge Questions for October 21

Starring cast from Back to the Future III
Internet photo
Today's Hodgepodge takes us back to the future. I'm linking up with other bloggers at From This Side of the Pond.

1. October 21, 2015 is Back to the Future Day. Did you see the movie? The sequels? In the second film, Doc takes Marty into the future to prevent Marty's future son from making a mistake. They leave 1985 and land on a 'skyway' on October 21st, 2015. So tell us, what were you doing in the fall of 1985?

Yes, I have seen all of the Back to the Future movies and the last one is my favorite. Beloved and I even quote some of the lines to each other at times (“Please excuse the crudity of this model”). Unhappily, I do remember well what I was doing in the fall of 1985. My father had just learned that his cancer had returned and would probably be terminal, which it was.

2.  If time travel were possible, would you want to go to the future? The past?

I would want to visit the Victorian era in England, Europe, and our own East Coast when the houses and clothing styles were so beautiful.

3. We're not flying cars, but some of the technology imagined in the 80's film has indeed come to pass in real life 2015-flat screen TVs on the wall, tablets, fingerprint recognition, video conferencing, online banking, 3-D movies, motion controlled video games, drone cameras, and smart glasses (Google glass).  Do you worry technology is growing at a rate so fast we'll soon be unable to keep up with it's demands? Do you think the Internet does more harm than good? 

Technology is already growing at a rate too fast for many of us to keep up with. It’s discouraging to see how often my husband needs to update our computers and phones. And so many times, the updates bring with them changes that seem so unnecessary (and baffling). 

As for the Internet being harmful, no, I don’t think it does more harm than good but just like driving a car, it is a powerful tool for both good and harm in the hands of those who use it.

4. Your favorite dish prepared in a slow-cooker? Your favorite fast food?

Crockpot: Beef-Bean Casserole (ground beef with several kinds of beans in a BBQ-type of sauce). But I can't eat that anymore... (sigh)

Fast Food: Wendy’s Apple Pecan Chicken Salad (hold the cheese, please). I know that sounds weird. I've developed some serious food allergies and so this is it! Back in the day, a McDonald's Quarter Pounder with cheese was my fav fast food. 

5. No time like the present, down time, face time, pressed for time, in the nick of time, make time, mark time, or just in time...which timely saying most relates to your life right now? 

I’ll go with “make time.” As stated in my blog post of yesterday, if I’m going to get any sewing done, I need to “make time” to do it. Otherwise, all manner of things crowd it out.

6. Tell us about a place you went as a child or younger person that's no longer there or is now something else. How does that make you feel?

the Aladdin Theatre on Colfax Avenue built in 1926
photo credit and history

Beloved and I went to see the movie “Camelot” on our first date at the historic Aladdin Theatre in Denver in 1968. After many movie goers moved out to the suburbs, the theatre was wrecked in 1984 to build a Walgreens store. Yeah, this makes me feel old.

7. Describe your comfort zone.

A good hair day, feeling healthy, comfortable clothes, and knowing all my family has food on their tables, gas in their cars, and household utilities working.

8. Insert your own random thought here.



My favorite radio station is Denver’s KPOF at 910 on the AM dial. We can hardly receive it at all with AM radios inside our home, so I listen to it in the car and in our house on an iPod inserted into a special stand with speakers.  

For reasons we don’t completely understand, the station cuts in and out more all the time. We suspect it has something to do with our Internet carrier but have not been able to fix the problem. Just this morning Beloved presented me with the gift of an HD radio that picks up the station beautifully. 


Linking up with bloggers today at

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post. I remember watching the movie way back when. I got it to watch with my young teens a few years ago and returned it without completing it. I forgot about the bad language. I just couldn't do it. It was such a good show though.

    I don't usually follow blogs by email. Would you consider adding Bloglovin'?
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha-a good hair day definitely makes any day better : ) I agree with you on so many of the updates. So often they seem to create new problems, or the need to purchase new devices, which might be part of the point. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift!! Yay!!! I had to chuckle at your good hair day comfort zone. I've just learned to live with my curly rats nest. Joyce gave us yet another fun Hodgepodge! I enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one neat theatre! Neat memory.

    Your daddy receiving the bad news...those things really stick to our hearts don't they. You should write a blog on your daddy one day. I know you must miss him sorely...I have a step-daddy that I miss soooooooo much. (I wrote a little about him this time with the wedding shots). Do you think of your dad during poignant times?

    Nice blog thoughts Barbara. I'm glad your Beloved was so thoughtful as to present you with such a great gift!

    To anyone who would like to follow you on bloglovin, I've got you on there already. : ) They just need to type in your blog name and you are there.

    Have a sweet day! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree too many updates now! Good hair day allows me to be in my comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete