Pages

Monday, September 14, 2015

Why Do I Blog?

my study with a few of my favorite things (and friends)
This is where I compose most of my blog posts

That is such a good question!!! (I wish I knew the answer)

Years ago my mother asked me if I knew that one of my nieces had a blog. Not only did I not know that, but I didn't really know what a blog was. I was busy at the time and the thought got no further attention from me.

But then a couple of months later my mother asked me again if I knew that Jennifer had a blog.  Yes, this time I knew it but I still didn't really know what a blog was. I wrote to my niece and asked how I could see her blog. She quickly replied. 

While tossing around the idea of starting my own blog, I had a terrible in-home accident where I fell and crushed my left shoulder. Surgery and months of intensive physical therapy followed that. There were many things that I could not do for myself anymore (or at least for a long time), and since I was used to being involved with needlework hobbies, I was at a loss what to do with my restricted movement. I could still type ... maybe a blog???

I have not been the same ever since. 

That was nearly seven years ago. The idea of writing my own blog intrigued me but I didn't know what to write (although I've had a bent for writing since I was about twelve years old). 

I opened a Blogger account and began writing. It has taken me years to "find my voice," so to speak, and since I floundered with that question, I started and stopped many blogs with different themes.  I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be writing about and why.  

My family and friends have been incredibly kind and forbearing as I've given them all manner of pseudonyms.  For years I added sunglasses and hats to their photos to protect their identity. 

I tried adding advertisements to my blog to make a little money,  but discovered that in spite of filtering, some ads were appearing that went against all that I considered decent. After earning about five dollars over a three-month time with those ads, I discontinued them. Writing for monetary profit has never really been my goal. 

Through this venture I have connected with a lot of other bloggers and have observed what seems to work for them. I've also learned that just because it works for them does not mean I should do the same. 

One thing I did learn quickly was that venting anger on-line is not for me. A blog author can restrict some of her readers to an extent, but truth be told, once it's written and published, there is no guarantee who will read your stuff. So caution, good sense, and restraint are all good ideas.

Besides, who really wants to listen to an angry person, anyway?!

I eventually settled into some writing patterns with sharing recipes and photos of my needlework, descriptions of travel, books and restaurants, and most weeks I have something relating to my faith in God.  

What has finally come to be my conclusion is that with the help of connecting with other bloggers through memes (pronounced like "themes") I have acquired a community of friends who, in many ways, share similar values and beliefs to mine and through our blogs and comments we inform and encourage each other. I learn from them, they say they learn from me, and I know I am growing into a better person for being in touch with such fine women via the Internet. It's become very pleasant and entertaining. I enjoy it so much.

I guess that's why I blog. There. I answered my own question!



3 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog. Please continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I write my blog primarily as a journal of my life for my children/grandchildren should they be interested some day. I too was kind of all over the place until I settled into just my everyday life with some of my views and opinions on life in general and my personal relationship with my God sprinkled in. LOTS of sewing [but then that's me!] It's funny the other day we were ALL trying to remember what we had done on a holiday the year before and we just couldn't seem to when one of my son's said, "mom, just look it up on your blog...it should be there!" And there it was in some detail, lol. I READ others blogs for my total entertainment and pleasure. I have discovered soo many "like" minds and kindred spirits I honestly can't believe it, and I have laughed and cried and prayed and gotten to know soo many wonderful women. The whole experience has been such a positive one that I plan on continuing with it as long as the Lord gives me the ability to do so, lol. I don't comment here a lot but I LOVE your blog! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use my blog as a journal (of sorts). Many bloggers have such a flair with words and can be so expressive. I enjoy those so much, but also blogs more like mine, which just detail a day or a thought or ask for prayer, etc. I love meeting my blogging friends in person and have been blessed to meet over a dozen so far! I've not been disappointed. My connections here are real people who represent themselves just as they are. It is a special group of (mostly) women who hold the same values that I do. What a blessing!!

    ReplyDelete