Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Welcome September!

Chrysanthemums blooming in my back yard right ow
Wednesday has rolled around once again and it's time for Hodgepodge. I'll respond to the questions and then link up with other bloggers to read their answers to the same questions.

1. What's on your September calendar? Anything fun?

Of course there's fun! And even if it's not fun, I do what I can to make it enjoyable.  We plan to visit The Cook on Fifth Street, spend a few nights with Sister and her family, and look forward to the seasonal beauty of September (which includes more frequent cool temperatures both day and night).

2. You might be described as a natural born (fill in the blank) uh.... writer, seamstress, and people-person. (maybe)

3. September is National Courtesy Month ... what one act of courtesy would you  most like to see more of in your home, town, or the world at large? 

There is entirely too much complaining going on. Genuine gratitude for the ordinary aspects of life is scarce.

4. Eager beaver, chicken out, clam up, or let the cat out of the bag ... which one have you related to most recently?

Chicken out would probably describe me best as I get older. Now that I've been around the block a few times, I have better insight as to when to leap forward and when to let others make fools of themselves.

5. What's your movie theatre snack protocol? Do you chow down on snacks during the previews or wait until the movie begins? Do you buy snacks or refuse to pay those kind of prices? What's the last movie you saw in a theatre? How many thumbs up would you give it?

The last movie I saw in a theatre was just last night (Tuesday), which by the way is a GREAT time of the week to go! We were on a double date with Denise and Alan to see War Room. I give it 10 thumbs up!!! Good grief. I just re-read this after it was published. I have only 2 thumbs!!



As for food, I never eat inside a theatre.  Too expensive, too salty, and next-to-nothing that I like to eat these days anyway. But I do like to have lunch or dinner at a restaurant before or after the show. Last night the 4 of us met at Red Robin before heading to the movie.




6. Henry Ford is quoted as saying, Nobody can think straight who does not work. Idleness warps the mind."  Agree or disagree? Why?



I have not heard that quote before but I am inclined to agree. We all need to be about worthwhile pursuits and work fits that description perfectly. Work stimulates the mind and/or body, which keeps things moving inside of us. Stagnation leads to putridity.



7. What's the last job you completed or task you performed where you had to 'work like a dog' until it was finished?


Xeriscaping is strongly encouraged in this semi-arid part of the country.

This summer we created a new flower bed in the back yard. The area was covered with landscaping rock and a weed-barrier fabric underneath that. I moved the majority of the rock to create a 4-foot by about 12-foot bed.  It was hard work but worth the effort. I moved all that rock in about 2 hours while on my hands and knees because I wanted to get the hardest part of the project behind me. (I didn't have the strength to do it with the rake)

8. Insert your own random thought here.

magnets on my freezer
Today Beloved and I are celebrating the 47th anniversary of our first date! We were such kids back then.  Now we have a grandson who is about 3 years from the age we were when that date took place. Wow. Does time fly or what?!


This is Hodgepodge Wednesday, so I am linking up with other bloggers today at From This Side of the Pond.

3 comments:

  1. War Room looks like a great movie. I'm gonna have to go check it out.

    Happy anniversary to you and your beloved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a huge project to move all those rocks. We have the same situation in an area in front of our house. I will have to tackle this project one day. Here visiting from the link-up at Joyce's. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well happy first-date anniversary! I enjoyed your answers and now have to think about going to see War Room!

    ReplyDelete