Pages

Monday, September 28, 2015

Weekend Rewind


This past weekend I was able to enjoy one of my favorite annual events when I  trekked up to Longmont, Colorado for the Quilt-a-Fair. 

I have lost track how many years I've been attending this popular event. Beloved used to go with me until Diana came along. Then after Diana moved to Nevada, I went by myself. 

Happily, this year my next-door-neighbor came with me. California Quilter is new to Colorado so she enjoyed getting acquainted with what local quilters like to do. We went on Friday when the crowds weren't so big. (and no strollers were allowed; you can bring a stroller on Saturday)


On Saturday Junior donned his fishing clothes and went with Senior (also known on this blog as Beloved) up to the South Platte River in search of dinner. But alas, in spite of literally dangling the bait in front of the fish, not a one took advantage of the offering! They came home sun-kissed and empty-handed. We had spaghetti for dinner with the homemade marinara sauce given to us by Katy-of-the-cul-de-sac.  It was delicious and we didn't miss the fish after all!


Sunday morning was spent in church and Bible study class where the fellowship was sweet and the preaching good. We came home to change our clothes and then headed down the road to Texas Roadhouse for a late lunch (peanuts for the appetizer, as always).


The plan for the afternoon was to see the changing Aspen trees in the mountains. But the drive before entering the high places is always a treat along I-25, which follows the east side of the Rocky Mountains. 


Along that route we passed by the United State Air Force Academy (seen in the distance with my zoom lens). My family has some rich memories tied up with the USAFA over the span of many years.


We stopped at the "scenic overlook" on the south-bound side of the Interstate, which is located just east of the Academy air strip. In the distance is Pikes Peak hovering over Southern Colorado at over 14,000 feet in altitude.


Familiar landmarks are everywhere for us as we enter the Colorado Springs area. We have lived there twice, once when our kids were pre-school. Years later we moved back and all three of our children graduated from high school there.


We still have some smoky haze hanging in the air from the fires on the west coast. We have been to the summit of Pikes Peak once. It's a long drive up and the return trip is even longer. You have to be careful to not burn out your car brakes.


Just to the right of Beloved's nose is Pulpit Rock. It is a comfortable hike from the last house we owned in the area. I am proud to say my kids talked me into climbing the "summit" of this rock, but I'll be honest and tell you I did it on my stomach! 



We have not been atop Cheyenne Mountain, but Beloved used to work inside of it! I was privileged to go on an officers' wives tour in about 1977. Very interesting place.


As we turned onto Highway 24 to head west out of the Springs, we could see some of the red rock formations of Garden of the Gods.



Traveling west on Highway 24, we can see the sparseness of trees on the mountains where the Waldo Canyon Fire ravaged a few years ago. 



We continued on through Woodland Park and up to Divide, Colorado. Turning left toward Cripple Creek, we knew we would see a lot of the turning Aspen leaves.



... and we were not disappointed!











The town of Cripple Creek was started by miners in the 1800s but now is known for its gambling. However, we don't gamble. There is plenty of gold for everyone in these trees!





Leftovers from the historical mining days can be seen in many parts of Colorado.



We stopped at the Heritage Center at Cripple Creek. Across the road is the Molly Kathleen Gold Mine. For $20 per adult, you can descend one thousand feet into the mountain, a depth roughly equal to the height of the Empire State Building in New York (so says Wikipedia). This is the world's only 1,000 foot vertical shaft gold mine tour. We did not take advantage of this. (call me a fraidy cat)



Wild flowers are competing with the Aspen trees.



The Heritage Center at Cripple Creek was free, had clean restrooms, good historical displays, and great views of the mountains, trees, and more gold mining operations.



The sun would be setting in a few hours, and we looked forward to another show later in the evening. We turned around and headed for home, still marveling at the beauty we enjoyed on this perfect day.



As we descended in altitude, the number of gold trees decreased. We are hearing there may be snow in the high country this next weekend!

Like so many Americans, last night I watched the spectacular show provided by our Holy Creator God.  I sat in a patio chair on the driveway for most of the spectacle, using the binoculars until I got tired of holding them up to my eyes.



Of course this is not my photography. Our feeble attempts to capture the weekend's grand finale with our phone cameras were pitiful. This photo is from NickLucey.com. He climbed our town namesake rock to take these time-lapse shots.

It's a marvel how many things I got to see and do this past weekend. I thank the Lord for the health and resources He's given to me to enjoy such a variety of blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much to 'taking us along' on your weekend adventure to find Aspen gold! I would not have gone down 1,000 feet either!

    ReplyDelete