Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Goodbye to September

Golden Aspen trees near Cripple Creek, Colorado
photograph by Beloved
It's the last day of September -- already -- when it seems to me the month just began! It is a fact that time marches much faster as we age.

I'm linking up today with many other bloggers at Joyce's blog, From This Side of the Pond with her usual Hodgepodge Wednesday questions. Let's see ... what's she asking us this time?

1. Something on your October calendar that makes you smile? 

We often get our first snow flakes in the month of October.  LET IT SNOW (as long as I have all my sewing supplies ready before the storm hits).

2. Food for the soul or music for the soul... which camp are you in?


Can I be in both camps? Music is often the food for my soul, especially if it is related to hymns and is something to which I can harmonize.



3. What are two or three things you've learned recently as the result of an online search?



Wow. I do on-line searches just about every day. How did I ever get along without the Internet?  Today I read an article about the negative effects of dehydration on the body. This past weekend I learned specifics about the Blood Moon/Super Moon/Lunar Eclipse.



4. Share your favorite game day recipe. You can describe it, post the how-to, or add a link to the actual recipe.



I don't have a specific favorite game day recipe.  I just like to eat! However my default snack is often my gluten-free and dairy-free trail mix:



Rice Crispy cereal
non-dairy chocolate chips
roasted and salted pistachios
dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, apples)


5. What are your 5 essential steps for creating the perfect morning routine?

1) get into bed the night before no later than 10pm

2) drink a cup of hot green tea and read Our Daily Bread before making breakfast or checking any social media sources
When we spend quiet time with the Lord in His Word and in prayer at the start of the day, we are better prepared to meet whatever comes flying at us throughout the remainder of the day.

3) prayer time with my husband 
He prays over me and I pray over him. 

4) have something fresh and green for breakfast, which is usually a green smoothie made with the Vitamix or a pudding made in the food processor of smoothie ingredients (using much less liquid)

5) get dressed, put on make-up, and have hair styled no later than 8:30am (and earlier if possible)

6. What small thing have you taken note of today?

If I want to avoid rush hour traffic, don't get onto C470 at 4:30pm.

7. Sum up your September in seven words or less.

"Swiftly flow the days" -- a phrase from Fiddler on the Roof 

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Last week I bought The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon.



It is wonderful for those of us who keep to a gluten-free and dairy-free way of eating. The recipes are delicious and hearty. Thus far I have made the following:


Broccoli and Cashew Cheese-Quinoa page 159
Caesar Salad w/Nutty Herb Croutons page 109
Crowd-Pleasing Tex-Mex Casserole page 149
Empowered Noodle Bowl w/
Orange-Maple Miso page 153
Effortless Anytime Balsamic Vinaigrette page 283

Beloved really enjoyed the Tex-Mex Casserole. This evening I had the Broccoli and Cashew Cheese Quinoa. I have been happy with everything so far!!

Broccoli and Cashew Cheese Quinoa
Yes! It was a cheese made of cashews and a host of other ingredients. The flavors in this dish were A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.
-----------------------------
To see the other bloggers who are linking up today with these same questions, click here: From This Side of the Pond


7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed getting to know you through your Hodgepodge answers.
    A good cookbook filled with great recipes is definitely a treasure. Enjoy :)
    Wow, expecting snow already? Our temps, here in Ga. are still in the 80's...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate quinoa when I lived in Bolivia for a year. Haven't touched it since. Maybe I should give it another try. The cookbook looks interesting! So nice that you and your husband pray together in the mornings. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cookbooks, both for cooking and for browsing. That broccoli dish looks yummy! I can't drink my breakfast as all that liquid upsets my stomach early in the morning. Even yogurt is pushing it, but I'll have that with a little granola which makes it okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet that you and your husband pray together. That quinoa dish (and your trail mix!) sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love that you and your husband pray over one another!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning prayer time is important in my start to the day, too. It's a great way to get going! I enjoyed your Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great morning routine! Yes, Hubby and I will not be standing on the countertops again. That was so stupid and thankfully we survived to tell about it.
    Looks like a great cookbook!

    ReplyDelete