Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Bring in Autumn with the Hodgepodge

our Maple tree in the front yard of The Brown Bungalow is just starting to change

Today we bring in Autumn on the Hodgepodge. The questions this week are from Volume 236 by our hostess Joyce over at her blog, From This Side of the Pond. Let's see what she's got in store for us this week:


1. What have you 'fallen for' recently?



Just this afternoon Denise sent a photo of her new nephew puppy (her brother's dog) and I am head-over-heels in love with the little guy.

2. What's something you're squirreling away' for later?

Christmas gifts.

3. How do you like your apples? Sweet? Tart? Crispy? Cooked? Apples are one of the super foods for fall ... how often do you eat an apple either plain or as part of a favorite recipe? What's your favorite variety?

I will take my apples any way I can get them. I always have some in the refrigerator drawer. Golden Delicious are my favorite but I like all kinds.

4. According to Fodor's the ten best fall foliage trips in the US of A are - Aspen Colorado, the  Catskills New York, the Berkshires Massachusetts, Columbia River Gorge Oregon, Green Mountain Byway Vermont, Enchanted Circle Scenic Byway New Mexico, Great Smoky Mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee, Upper Peninsula Michigan, Lake of the Ozarks Missouri, and Glacier National Park Montana. Which would you most like to visit this fall and why? 

Aspens in South Park, Colorado in 2014

Given the time and the money, I would be happy to visit every one of these places. A few years ago Beloved and I took a "leaf peeping" bus tour in New England (including the Berkshires in Massachusetts and Vermont). But we don't have to go far here along Colorado's Front Range to see autumn beauty. One of the most stunning sights is to see large patches of the golden Aspen on the mountainsides. The picture I am posting does not do it justice, but you get the idea.

5. The topic of legalizing marijuana was raised in the most recent televised political debate so let's wade in too. Twenty-three states and the District of Columbia currently have laws legalizing marijuana in some form. Four states have legalized marijuana for recreational use. Your thoughts?

Unhappily, the state I call home has legalized marijuana for recreational use. I voted against it. There are many sticky and uncomfortable problems and ramifications that come with marijuana for recreational use. The local news often features stories about the marijuana-laced brownies, cookies, and such that are out there.  There are arguments about how (or if!!!) to label these products with warnings. People (kids, in particular) can eat them without being aware and then get sick.  There are other problems about people smoking the stuff on their private property, like on their patio, and the neighbors having to smell it. The whole issue is a mess!!

6. Are you okay to watch a movie already in progress or do you need to always see it from the beginning? How about jumping into a TV series somewhere in the middle? Is that okay?

I really prefer to start at the beginning with anything. Even when choosing a book to read, if it's part of a series, I want to read them in order.

7. Thursday (September 24) is National Punctuation Day. What rule of punctuation trips  you up most often? What rule of punctuation, when broken by someone else, bugs you the most? 

This isn't a big issue for me. Maybe my readers need to tell me my punctuation mistakes. 

8. Insert your own random thought here. 


one of my favorite projects, completed in 2006
Enough said! (smile)
----------------------------------------


Hodgepodge Wednesday is a weekly meme where Joyce comes up with the questions and bloggers respond. Then we all link up at From This Side of the Pond. We form friendships and make enriching connections all across the USA and beyond. 

4 comments:


  1. Oh how sweet! Yes, it's easy to fall for a puppy! And, I appreciate your take on legal pot since I live in a state that has not legalized it. I can certainly understand the concern of children eating laced brownies, etc. Also the aroma floating around. One can say the same goes with alcohol to some extent. Kids can pick up laced drinks, and drunk partyers certainly can be obnoxious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, that opening photo! I love those fallish blue skies! And of course, I am also a sucker for puppies, so that's a favorite photo of mine! Have a wonderful autumn day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the puppy! The puppy! How. Darling! I thought I would come say hey to Barbara today and I am so glad I did. Enjoyed your precious meme.

    I too have picked up a couple of gifts, maybe not for Christmas because of exchanges but perhaps for birthdays. :)

    Oh my, the marijuana thing sounds like a pandora's box! I can only imagine. The smoke form another patio would be a definite problem...Yikes. Also, "if" to label a product? What in the world? Good grief. Where I live they are still deciding the subject of using it for medicinal use. Any thoughts since in your area it is out there everywhere so to speak?

    Take care now, blessings to you Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the first blogger to mention having Christmas gifts put away already. I have my Christmas cards!! That's big for me! LOL

    Another fun Hodgepodge. I enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete