Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2015

An Abundance of Pardon

Yesterday I wrote about thoughts I sometimes have during my very first waking moments in the morning. Thankfully, not all days begin with negativity. 

It helps greatly to pray the night before, as I am falling asleep, asking the Lord to give me restorative rest, to keep the lies from the enemy of my soul from speaking to me while I am unconscious. I ask the Lord to speak to me His truth while I sleep.

Recently during a pre-dawn hour, I was thinking about the unrest in our world, the threats to Christ-followers, and the complicated issues that we are facing. The most wonderful memory came to mind, and I know it was from the Lord.

When I was about twelve years old, my mother sang alto in the church choir. On Wednesday nights, after prayer meeting, the choir would rehearse for the coming Sunday. My sister and I would take our school work with us to church and sit on the front row in the sanctuary while the choir went through their music. 

That was well over 50 years ago and yet there is one song in particular that has been embedded in my memory all this time. Perhaps the choir was having trouble getting the notes right, hence a lot of repetition; I don't know. But it was beautiful to me and so instructive for all of my days.  The words are from the Old Testament book of Isaiah.


Seek ye the LORD
while He may be found,
call ye upon Him while He is near:
Let the wicked forsake his way,
and the unrighteous man his thoughts:
and let him return unto the LORD, 
and He will have mercy upon him; 
and to our God, 
for He will abundantly pardon.

Isaiah 55:6-7

In these days of disturbing news and an alarming escalation of violence all over the world, including in our own country, it behooves all of us to seek the LORD while there is yet time. No one has any assurance that our end will come with a suitable period of warning beforehand to 'make things right' with God and others. 

I absolutely love the line, "for He will abundantly pardon." I have found this to be true over the years when I have messed up and sought the LORD's forgiveness. 

We all need to seek the LORD now, while there is yet time. 

3 comments:


  1. Great post! Amen to it all! In the chaotic world we live in these days I honestly have no idea how people get along without the Lord to lean on and rely on. Nice memory of your mom. Enjoy your week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful words for us to hold in our hearts. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Thank you for sharing. Blessings

    ReplyDelete