Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2015

An Early Departure

a stem broken by the wind in my Gladiola flower bed

Just a few days ago and all too soon, the man's earthly life came to an end; he was immediately in the Presence of Holy God. He was an announcer on our local Christian radio station. Over  the past many years, we were in the habit of hearing his pleasant voice every weekday from 2 - 5:30 pm.  

This came as a shock to all.  It appears that he died of natural causes.  I don't know the intimate details, but he probably went to sleep one night and woke up in Heaven, slipping away so quietly that his loved ones were not immediately aware of what had happened.

This was a man who devoted his life to many good things spiritual, material and practical. The evidence of his pure heart was easy for all to see and we were grateful for this man's contributions to our own lives. 

Even though we did not know him personally, when a certain voice accompanies you day after day, year after year at home, in the car, on the Internet -- you feel like they are a close acquaintance. 


a close examination of beauty

Why would God take the man to Himself in the prime of his life, when he was immersed in good works and expected many more years of productivity?

No human can answer that question with complete certainty but it has been suggested perhaps a Christian is called to Heaven early so those who remain can examine his life and learn valuable lessons from it. 

After his death, it came out to those beyond his immediate family and working associates that  he was known for his attention to detail, getting assignments done both promptly and well, a very dependable person who often stepped in to help when others were at a loss.

Search me, O God,
and know my heart:
try me, and know my thoughts...
Psalm 139:23

A sudden departure like this also reminds us of the brevity of life. We have no assurance of our next heartbeat. Yes, we are to make plans for the future, but at the same time, we need to be living in such a way that we are "ready to go" when the Lord calls us.

... see if there be any wicked way in me,
and lead me in the everlasting way.
Psalm 139:24


2 comments:

  1. When my son was little and my grandfather passed away, he asked me why? I think, 'God needs him more', was my answer. At least, I prefer to think that. There is no easy answer, my friend.

    Thank you for such a lovely tribute to the voice on the radio. Have a beautiful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's how I would feel about JJ and Ron, the morning radio guys on American Family Radio. They are a part of every day of my life. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete