Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A Mid-August Hodgepodge

Gladiolas at The Brown Bungalow

It's that time of week when I answer the Hodgepodge questions on Tuesday and then on Wednesday I link up with other bloggers over at Joyce's blog, From This Side of the Pond. This is Hodgepodge Number 232!

1. At what age did you feel like a 'grown-up'? What keeps you young now?

I felt like a grown-up at the age of 19 when I got my first secretarial job at a stock exchange in downtown Denver. I got to dress up nice, worked in a beautiful building, had all weekends off, and brought home a paycheck bigger than what fast food paid. 

Now I feel young when I eat well (mostly vegan) and can shop for clothes in the Petites section.

2. When did you last buy a vehicle? Was this by design or because you had no other option? Was the car/truck purchased for your own personal use or was it bought for someone else to drive? On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being delightful and 1 being 'pass the Excedrin') how would you rate the experience?

We bought a used Ford Escape for me last December. Beloved took care of the details while I pretty much just signed my name when told to. It was not at all painful but the paperwork took a long time, as it always does.

3. Corn bread, corn chips, corn pudding, corn on the cob, cornflakes, corn chowder -- your favorite of the corn-y foods listed? What needs to be served alongside your selection?

(This question makes me hungry!) I like all of the above, but my most frequent corn-y dish is corn tortillas used for making quesadillas. Since I'm gluten- and dairy-free, I use a soy cheddar cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and chopped green onions in the quesadillas and add a generous serving of a green salad on the side. I often enjoy this on Saturday nights for supper.

Quesadillas with a green side salad

4. What's something in your life that regularly requires you to 'put your thinking cap on'?

Deciding which route to take to get to the grocery store!! My town is growing very fast and we have just an awful lot of road construction going on. Depending on the time of day, the day of the week, and how much time I have, important decisions about my route need to be made before I leave my driveway!!

5. Share a favorite movie set in a school or classroom, or whose theme relates to school days in some way.


Anne and Gilbert

The Anne of Green Gables TV series had a lot of schoolroom scenes that I enjoyed.

6. Reading, writing, and 'arithmetic' are commonly referred to as the three R's. What are the three R's in your life right now?

Rob, Rachel, and Rebekah -- 3 young people very dear to my heart.

7. What's something you've learned or tried recently you can say was as 'easy as ABC'?

I tried being on the Worship Team at church this past weekend for the first time. It was my first experience holding a microphone and it was easy.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

from our TV on Monday evening
Since I began today's post with flowers, I'll end with this one. At the Denver Botanical Gardens the Corpse Flower is expected to bloom just any time (and may have by the time this piece is published). If you don't know about this, it's this huge flower that grows at a phenomenal rate and rarely blooms. But when it does, watch out because for 48 hours it releases a terrible smell, like rotting flesh, is what we were told. 

One cannot help but wonder why our Creator made such a thing (along with mosquitoes and rodents...). Surely before The Fall in the Garden of Eden all these things had a wonderful, edifying purpose, don't you think?




As I said at the beginning, on Wednesday I'll be linking up with my blogger friends (from all over the USA and other nations!) at From This Side of the Pond. Feel free to join us! Click here: http://www.fromthissideofthepond.com



7 comments:

  1. I put 19 as my magic "grown up" age! I enjoyed your answers to another fun Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your Hodgepodgeanswers, Barbara. I'd actually like to see the Corpse flower! One bloomed in the Brooklyn Botanical Garden when I lived in Brooklyn, but I missed that experience. We are in the middle of potty training our little granddaughter so a trip to the Denver garden may not be possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your answers...and yes, I know full well about that stink flower...and it does stink...ick (smiles). Have a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright, I forgot. I love quesadillas and haven't eaten one since Mexico. They were delicious! And I loved the school scenes in Anne of Green Gables. That was such a sweet, fun series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a huge fan of Anne with an e : ) We were in PEI earlier this month for a friend's wedding. It is such a beautiful part of the world, and definitely makes me feel I've stepped into the storybooks. The flower is interesting. Not sure I want to be in the room when it blooms, but its fascinating. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chose the same school movie! I love Anne of Green Gables!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I made Quesadillas on Sunday night, with chicken but tasty...I made the mistake of over filling them and had a messy quesadilla maker to clean afterward...
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete