Formerly The Brown Bungalow, this blog has changed names to reflect my new location in the deep South. We are leaving the Columbines for Magnolias; donating wooly socks to buy sandals; pouring out the hot beverages to sip iced tea; and building sand castles instead of snowmen.
These are the Wednesday Hodgepodge Questions Volume 229. Our hostess Joyce asks the questions, bloggers insert their replies and then we link up at From This Side of the Pond to share our responses.
1. Is your home air conditioned? If it's not air conditioned, is that by choice? Did you grow up with air conditioning? If not, how did you cope with the heat? Share about a time or place you remember as being too hot -- the temperature kind of hot, lest anyone be confused.
Yes, my home is air conditioned. My family moved a lot when I was growing up. We had air conditioning in some of those places. Fans were used when needed.
My mother flew back to Chicago after helping us for three weeks with the birth of our first child. We were living in Rapid City, South Dakota. The day she left was 110 degrees with a hot wind blowing. We had no air conditioning so as she left I wilted both physically and emotionally from the extreme heat and missing her help. Beloved immediately bought a window air conditioning unit, which was wonderful!
2. What's something in your life right now that falls under the heading 'up in the air'?
Where will we retire? Stay where we are, move to Florida, move to Texas, or move back to the Denver metro area? (or someplace else we have not yet considered)
3. Your favorite light and airy dessert?
Meringue cookies, but they are not a part of my diet these days.
4. When did you last feel like you were 'floating on air'?
My spirit is lifted up every time I hear this song, "Somebody Prays" by The Guardians, especially during the harmony near the end of the song.
It is thrilling to be reminded "when somebody prays, heaven pays attention."
5. Airport, airmail, airtight, airhead ... which have you most recently encountered? Explain.
Airtight. Food packaging is getting harder to open -- is it just the arthritis in my hands or are the manufacturers making it that way? It is essential that I have those gripper pads and sturdy scissors handy for getting into a lot of things.
6. Have you ever been to the Alps? If so, where did you go? If not, is this a destination on your must-see list? If you were headed that direction this summer, which of the following would be your preferred activity ... a gentle walk, a serious boat ride around one of the lakes, or summer snow skiing?
No, I've never been to the Alps. If I were to visit there, I'd opt for the serious boat ride around the lakes. I am assuming the view from the water would be amazing.
7. What is one saying or phrase that was considered 'cool' when you were growing up?
"Snowed." To be "snowed" over somebody meant you were really infatuated with them.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
This is a peek into my laundry room with a fun sign I found at Kirklands a few months ago...