Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Hibiscus and Hodgepodge

Hibiscus blooming in my back yard this week
These are the Wednesday Hodgepodge Questions Volume 229. Our hostess Joyce asks the questions, bloggers insert their replies and then we link up at From This Side of the Pond to share our responses.

1. Is your home air conditioned? If it's not air conditioned, is that by choice? Did you grow up with air conditioning? If not, how did you cope with the heat? Share about a time or place you remember as being too hot -- the temperature kind of hot, lest anyone be confused.

Yes, my home is air conditioned. My family moved a lot when I was growing up. We had air conditioning in some of those places. Fans were used when needed.

My mother flew back to Chicago after helping us for three weeks with the birth of our first child. We were living in Rapid City, South Dakota. The day she left was 110 degrees with a hot wind blowing. We had no air conditioning so as she left I wilted both physically and emotionally from the extreme heat and missing her help. Beloved immediately bought a window air conditioning unit, which was wonderful!

2. What's something in your life right now that falls under the heading 'up in the air'?

Where will we retire? Stay where we are, move to Florida, move to Texas, or move back to the Denver metro area? (or someplace else we have not yet considered)

3. Your favorite light and airy dessert?

Meringue cookies, but they are not a part of my diet these days.

4. When did you last feel like you were 'floating on air'?

My spirit is lifted up every time I hear this song, "Somebody Prays" by The Guardians, especially during the harmony near the end of the song. 


Somebody Prays - click to hear the song
It is thrilling to be reminded "when somebody prays, heaven pays attention."

5. Airport, airmail, airtight, airhead ... which have you most recently encountered? Explain.

Airtight. Food packaging is getting harder to open -- is it just the arthritis in my hands or are the manufacturers making it that way? It is essential that I have those gripper pads and sturdy scissors handy for getting into a lot of things.

6. Have you ever been to the Alps? If so, where did you go? If not, is this a destination on your must-see list? If you were headed that direction this summer, which of the following would be your preferred activity ... a gentle walk, a serious  boat ride around one of the lakes, or summer snow skiing?

No, I've never been to the Alps. If I were to visit there, I'd opt for the serious boat ride around the lakes. I am assuming the view from the water would be amazing.

7. What is one saying or phrase that was considered 'cool' when you were growing up?

"Snowed." To be "snowed" over somebody meant you were really infatuated with them. 

8. Insert your own random thought here.

This is a peek into my laundry room with a fun sign I found at Kirklands a few months ago...




To see the responses of other bloggers to these same questions, click here: From This Side of the Pond


11 comments:

  1. 110 ??????!!!!! That is horrific! I had no idea it got that hot there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your laundry room sign is adorable. I saw it in Kirkland's too and smiled. And you're absolutely right about the packaging getting harder to open. And about knowing someone is praying for you--that's priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting!! (sorry it took me all day to visit, just getting back online)---I enjoyed your answers...nice to meet you. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that sign you found at Kirklands. I may have to pop into ours and see if they have it. So cute! Oh my, your #5 reminded me of my fight with a plastic container earlier this week that had me almost cursing!! The only thing worse than no "open here" is an "open here" that doesn't work! Another fun Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your answers.
    I like the sign...I have a few things purchased for the walls in my laundry room but haven't gotten around to putting them up yet.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny sign!

    Wow! Those kind of temps would bowl a gal over. We lived in AZ for three years without AC. I thought I would die and hoped I would. It's a good thing I'm a gal of the north.

    It will be interesting to see where God leads for your retirement years. He has a plan that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You asked about our mural map of the world. When our kids were young, we had push pins on the location of missionary family members and other family members. Now there are no push pins in it, but it might be a good idea for when the young ones come again. We have a lot of maps around our house. Maps, books, and coffee mugs. :-) Thank you for stopping in and asking about the map.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You asked about our mural map of the world. When our kids were young, we had push pins on the location of missionary family members and other family members. Now there are no push pins in it, but it might be a good idea for when the young ones come again. We have a lot of maps around our house. Maps, books, and coffee mugs. :-) Thank you for stopping in and asking about the map.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You asked about our mural map of the world. When our kids were young, we had push pins on the location of missionary family members and other family members. Now there are no push pins in it, but it might be a good idea for when the young ones come again. We have a lot of maps around our house. Maps, books, and coffee mugs. :-) Thank you for stopping in and asking about the map.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it's been so hot here this week and our humidity is about 100%. :o)) We are so thankful for our a/c. Can't wait to hear about where you and Hubby will retire. Love the laundry room sign, so cute! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete