Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Her Quirkyness Revealed

my favorite straw hat
(those white things are the reflections of light bulbs on the granite counter)
Along with all the serious matters that I often contemplate, there are other areas of my life that also beg for attention. One of them is my search for a hat pin. 

Gallup Park

Beloved and I spent Sunday afternoon at a park reading books under the shade of beautiful trees. There was a breeze blowing. I enjoyed wearing my straw hat but the only thing I could think to use for a hat pin was a wooden skewer from my kitchen drawer. It sufficed for the occasion, but I may need to do a Google search to find something prettier.

Gallup Park

We had to drive some distance to find big shade trees on public property where we could sit undisturbed on that warm summer's day. But the drive was worth it.

Marigolds, Day Lily, Shasta Daisies

I came home inspired to plant flowers and bought some at the nursery the very next day. But that's not so very quirky.  

How 'bout this?

an orange beet is yellow inside
I know that with the exception of Surfer Girl, most of my readers are not fans of the plant-based (vegan) way of eating. So although you may not want to try this, you may find it interesting to see what an orange beet looks like. (Did  you know beets can be a color other than red?)

chopped and ready to process in the Vitamix

It's my habit (except when I'm on the road traveling) to have a fresh beet smoothie every Monday morning for breakfast. While I have a juicer, I prefer to make a smoothies so I get the benefits of the fiber as well as the liquid.

a Vitamix or comparable heavy-duty blender is best for working with beets
Beets are very healthy in spite of their earthy taste. I like to combine one beet with orange juice and either the beet greens or kale or chard,  and hemp seeds.  (some stores remove the beet greens which is unfortunate because those greens are very beneficial)

process until thoroughly blended and texture is creamy

On this particular day I also added some cubed fresh pineapple, which made the concoction especially good.

Drink up!

This smoothie is not sickly-sweet but I enjoy it because it is high in Vitamin C, Vitamin B folate, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium and manganese. I know I'm doing something good for myself!


Yes, I have my quirky ways with a wood skewer for a hat pin and drinking beet smoothies every Monday. 

We all have some funny little ways about us; I'm sure of it. We would be boring if we were all the same, right?

Beet Smoothie (makes 1 large serving)

2 cups orange juice (I use Tropicana0
1 large handful fresh greens (beet greens, kale, chard, etc)
1 cup fresh pineapple, cubed
1 raw beet, cubed
3 Tablespoons raw shelled hemp seeds

Combine all ingredients in a Vitamix or other heavy-duty blender. Process until smooth and creamy. Drink immediately.

*Note: beets are very hard and dense. They will not process well in a low-powered blender and may even burn out the motor.

2 comments:

  1. A couple of my coworkers are dieting with smoothies. I just can't get into it. I miss chewing! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!! I like your ingenuity with the hat pin, and the park you spent time in is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, isn't it the truth. Everyone thinks we're weird in one way or the other, I'm sure of it. I love a smoothie, but usually make mine with fruit, ice cubes and a little milk, yogurt or ice cream. I can't wait to get moved so I can get back to making them. I packed my Ninja a while back and have missed it. Happy mid-week! Oh, love your hat and I think the hat pin is plum cleaver!

    ReplyDelete