Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

A Summer Hodgepodge

a fond travel memory: Portland Head Lighthouse, Maine in 2010

Today is Hodgepodge Wednesday, when Joyce asks the questions, bloggers reply, and then link up together at From This Side of the Pond


1.  I recently read here about four secrets to happiness from around the world. They were:

- overcome your fears by facing them head on
- allow yourself to relax and reset 
- work to live versus living to work
- find the good in life. 

Not sure if these are the actual secrets to happiness, but which of the four do you struggle with most? Which one comes most easily to you?

I struggle the most with allowing myself to relax and reset.

I do find satisfaction in overcoming my fears by facing them head on because I ask the Lord for help and He always comes through! Getting past the problem is very satisfying.

2. How would you spend a found $20 bill today?

After I was certain there was no way to return the money to someone, I would tuck it into my wallet and just wait for the right opportunity to use it.... often for a fabric purchase for my quilting.


3. Ego trip, power trip, guilt trip, round trip, trip the light fantastic, or trip over your own two feet...which 'trip' have you experienced or dealt with most recently? Explain.

yes, the rocks in the river are green due to heavy rains and a lot of moss
On Tuesday we took a round trip up to our favorite fishing spot. We were gone about 12 1/2 hours and traveled about 180 miles. Is there anything more relaxing than staring for hours at running water? Only one other thing, and that is listening to piano music. (see the next question)

4. If you could master any physical skill in the world what would it be, and how would you use that skill?

(Since we are dreaming, right?) I would play hymns on the piano by ear and praise God daily in my home with the music. If anybody asked me to play for them, I would.

5. As July draws to a close, let's take inventory of our summer fun. Since the official first day of (North American) summer (June 20th) have you:        

been swimming?  haven’t been swimming (nobody needs to see me in a swimsuit ever again)

enjoyed an ice cream cone? I don’t eat ice cream, frozen custard or frozen yogurt due to lactose intolerance (but frozen bananas pureed in a Vitamix till creamy makes a nice substitute!)

seen a summer blockbuster? haven’t seen a summer blockbuster, but we have rented some good movies at home, including the following:

Black or White with Kevin Costner
Flight of the Phoenix with Dennis Quaid*
Woman in Gold with Helen Mirren

*this movie is several years old

camped? I camp in good hotels when I travel. Holiday Inn Express is currently my favorite

eaten corn on the cob? YES! I have had some corn on the cob!

gardened?  YES! we put in a flower bed two weeks ago

deliberately unplugged? YES! I was out of cell phone and Internet contact all day yesterday at the fishing spot in the mountains

watched a ballgame? I don’t watch sports in the summer, just football in the fall

picked fruit off the vine? does eating store-bought grapes and cherries with stems count?

taken a road trip? we drove to Pensacola, Florida and back in eleven days (traveling through Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kansas) 

read a book? YES! (several) ... be sure to see my rant in question #8 below

Are any of these activities on your must-do-before-summer-ends list?  more outdoor hiking sounds good to me!

6. The Republican Presidential candidates will debate on August 6th. What's your question?

“With all the promises we are hearing, what would you actually do?”  (This was my husband’s response and I completely agree)

7. What's your most listened to song so far this summer? I  shared the link to this song last week and I'm still listening to it:


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I am saddened to see that we have fewer bookstores for shopping. Visiting our local Lifeway Christian bookstore and Barnes and Noble are a real treat. I browse in those stores until my feet give out. Williams Sonoma used to have a large book collection in their stores and it is smaller literally every time I visit them. Crate and Barrel used to have a book shelf and now they have just a very few books scattered here and there -- no more actual book shelf. 

While I love the ease and convenience of the Internet, that does not replace the feel of holding a bound book in my hands and turning the pages, even being able to add my own notes in the margins (if the book belongs to me). 

I am committing myself to visiting my local library once a week to check out at least one book if for no other reason than to make a statement to the statisticians that real books are still meeting the needs of the public.  And I am buying books from brick-and-mortal stores as much as possible  so they will know there are those of us in the public who still appreciate the pleasures of shopping for books in person.

my trip to the library earlier this week


4 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhh what a big library you have!!! I am so jealous (wink)...we have a very small library housed in a small 'mansion'...(and I do mean small mansion, not a huge one) where new books are rare. Thank you for sharing your photos and thank you for your kind words about my school project. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does your church have a library? Mine does and I sometimes take a little time to browse there. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm with you.....at this stage in my life, no one needs to see me in a swimsuit. :o)) I would have never even thought of a skill like playing the piano but what a good answer. I took piano lessons for 12 years but my heart wasn't really in it, my Momma wanted me to take and now I wish I had really applied myself more. I like to hold a real book in my hand when I read too but I always just order them from Amazon but that has certainly hurt our brick and mortar stores. Happy mid-week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I felt the same way about books but purchased a Kindle and now I don't even want to think about bulky books! AND, you can write notes and highlight Kindle books and save the notes. Really. I love my Kindle now. I enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge answers!

    ReplyDelete