Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Hodgepodge on a Rainy Day

our new porch puppy

Another Hodgepodge Wednesday has rolled around, but once again it's found us with our umbrellas handy and low visibility due to fog and rain. It's a fun type of weather when one can stay inside, sip hot tea and sew on a quilt. Outdoors, not so much...


my current quilting project on the design wall

This is Volume 221 and our questions are designed by Joyce at her blog, From This Side of the Pond.

1.  Did you make someone laugh yesterday? Was it intentional?

I probably did but I don’t remember what it was. I say a lot of silly stuff and my friends are good about humoring me.

2. What's a simple question with a complicated answer?

I am drawing an absolute blank on this one. I have laundry to do, so I will skip this one and go on....

3. Rhododendrons or azaleas...you have to choose. Are either currently blooming in your yard?

Unfortunately, neither one is growing in my yard. Colorado climate is not friendly to these beautiful flowering bushes. But we did have “Rhodies” in our yard in Seattle, many years ago, and Azaleas in our Virginia yard, also years ago.

one of our young Lilac bushes this year
We do, however, have Lilac bushes, and some day they will make a more dramatic photo than what I can post today.

4. May 21st is National Waitstaff Day. Have you ever worked as a waiter/waitress? How would you rate the experience? What was the best/worst part of the job?

The last time I quit a waitress job, I promised myself I would not do that ever again. I was 18 years old at the time and thankfully was able to move on to a job that provided me with a chair, a typewriter, and a beautiful wardrobe that included a lot of shoes (I was the executive secretary to the president of a shoe company). But with that said, serving as a waitress was a good maturing experience.

5. What fashion trend for women should be outlawed? How about one for men? 

The hemlines of skirts that are mid-thigh and above are truly not flattering to anyone, no matter how shapely the legs, and especially when combined with a high "baby doll" waist.    

As for men, closely-trimmed beards are nice, but anything longer than that is an unattractive distraction as it bobs while the jaw moves.

6. Name a writer who inspires you....now tell us why.

Anne Graham Lotz (one of the daughters of Billy Graham) always inspires me to spend more time in God’s Word and in prayer.

7. What well known quote or saying sums up your plans for today or this week?

“There is always something for which to be thankful.” Charles Dickens 


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I'm a little behind in posting my Hodgepodge this week. The last few days have been especially fun with visiting a dear friend who came to my house from her current home west of the Rockies. 

Friendships are such a blessing. To quote Barbra Streisand, "People who need people are the luckiest people in all the world." 

A graying brunette among the blondes.
(l-r) Denise, me, Diana
To see how other bloggers have responded to these same questions, click here:




3 comments:

  1. I agree with a man having a maintained beard. I like your quote. We often forget to be thankful in all things! Glad you had a great visit with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just out in Seattle and thought the rhododendrons there were some of the most beautiful I've seen. So huge! Glad you enjoyed time with friends. I agree...we all need people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the beards. Nice quote and looks like you had a fun time with your friends.

    ReplyDelete